• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incorporating the workwear aesthetic into a non-workwear wardrobe

Transcendental

Reaction score
Neither do I, if I buy the right pieces while still carrying the workwear aesthetic

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody post those photos from that Drinkwater's shoot.

daft

Reaction score
We need some pictures of some incorporating workwear successfully in everyday wear, and some pictures of failure.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Sizing down usually makes the shoulders much too small for me.

Well, there are three letters I have for you then: MTM
wink.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
so uh, most of those guys are wearing mostly EG or workwear esque pieces .. and most of the stuff doesn't fit that great

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh it may look old-timey but that stuff hardly looks like workwear. Cut out the hats and shawl collars and it looks pretty standard. Is it that much of a stretch to imagine a flannel shirt without a red button on it under that jacket?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
my point is that it is difficult to incorporate single EG/WWM/workwear pieces into an outfit that is not of the same aesthetic, especially if you're wearing clean cut designers ... not that it's hard to wear all EG

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah like I said if all your **** is trim it isn't going to work, but if that's the case not sure why the interest in EG

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my point is that it is difficult to incorporate single EG/WWM/workwear pieces into an outfit that is not of the same aesthetic, especially if you're wearing clean cut designers ... not that it's hard to wear all EG

Yeah well its not like you'd wear EG with say Jil Sanders or Rick owens. That would be just weird.
You have to find a good medium. A lot of EG stuff won't look out of place with Band or Wings and Horns or J. Crew even and I wouldn't consider any of the latter to be workwear brands. Basically why would you be buying EG or WWM stuff if you've got a closet full of clean cut / modernish clothing.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
kitsch  [kich] Show IPA –noun something of tawdry design, appearance, or content created to appeal to popular or undiscriminating taste. Origin: 1925–30; < G, deriv. of kitschen to throw together (a work of art) Related forms: kitschy, adjective Sorry I couldn't resist.
Sadly, his usage is spot on. 'Designer' workwear is fine in small doses, and on the right people - but in designer mode on tiny little guys wearing nothing but EG/WWM/etc., it looks like an ironic costume. A single piece of that stuff is a stronger look (with appropriate Americana - real workwear, or preppie/J. Crew/whatever) than an entire outfit.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't found much trouble with this either. Not hard to incorporate EG/WWM stuff with peasant brands such as J.Crew or even GAP I'd bet.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure how a workwear jacket can't go with a plain v-neck and jeans...

Workwear has a lot in common with a "clean" aesthetic, in that the details were all originally utilitarian in the former, and that extraneous details are stripped in the latter. I really don't see where the discrepancy lies. A lot of Margiela, for example, is based on military and workwear pieces, and others are straight up homages to vintage pieces.

Where things may break down is in the texture; but it you keep that consistent, or are good at balancing contrasting textures and weights, you are going to be okay.

Of course, some pieces are just going to work, period. For example, the WWM Maine Guide jacket is about as minimalist as you get. Flap patch pockets at the hips, pathc pockets on the chest, and a short shawl collar with a fold back throat latch. You don't get much more minimalistic than that, unless you start taking lapels off of jackets...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads