• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incoming College Freshman

superfans124

Reaction score
don't do it for the money, especially when the money isn't gonna be there. there aren't that many nice paying finance jobs any more, probably by the time you graduate the economy has recovered, but guess who's gonna get hired? those who got canned in the first place. if you are not super smart, or having zealous drive and persistence to pursuit a vague life-time goal as "Be rich, Biatch~", then don't do finance right now.

government jobs/internships are just as competitive in the finance field, I had a conversation with a family friend who's in the government sector, their "puny" government openings are now flooded with applications from ivy-league graduates since economy went WTF, who a few years ago wouldn't give a second thought about working anywhere else but wall street. it only gets uglier and uglier as you move down the food chain.

the easiest way to make money is by being successful at something, and the easiest way to be successful at something is by doing something you love. if uncertain about what you love, that's what undergraduate is for.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
accounting is always a good route and can take on an international aspect as well.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christoff
pseudonym, ever thought about a Travel agent or Travel industry type job? It has been suggested to me a number of times. A big plus is you get to live like James Bond whenever you go away on trips. An Aunt of mine hasn't paid for a Vacay in 30+ years since she started working in the industry, seems interesting but a little dead-endish.

Not really, actually.

Isn't the whole travel agent path a dead one?

Christoff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
edit: christoff, seriously, look into the whole FSO thing, I think you'd enjoy that.

http://careers.state.gov/officer/index.html

Cheers I will look into that, the Canada version that is :p It seems crazy selective up here, only about 50 applicants get hired each year! But I guess I have the next 4 years or so to build up a good application once I get my degree. As you need one to go into the FSO up here
frown.gif

Originally Posted by pseudonym
Not really, actually.

Isn't the whole travel agent path a dead one?

It is but it isn't, my Aunt is in Luxury Travel sales, so think skiing in Vail, Dubai, whatever someone wants, they can get basically. Also just through my association with a Travel forum online, you wouldn't believe how many people still go through Travel Agents for booking Tours and all the required extras with them. It honestly shocked me as when I travel I find the cheapest flight and just book on the go, but I guess with people on big bus tours they really don't want to do a damn thing other than show up.

I have been thinking lately of doing a double major also, kinda cover something I am really interested in(History/International Relations(I actually subscribe to the CSIS Podcast lol) and something like Business or Journalism that I am half interested in.

I don't know about pseudonym but one of the main reasons I am still un-easy about my education and what I want to do is because of the whole "you can do anything" that was rammed down my throat growing up by the system lol Now I am finding out this isn't true, and I wont be a Spaceman, and that Rocket Science is really just a lot of math and not a lot of boom. Kinda tosses you for a loop really in my mind.

To the reason why I and others fret over this issue is basically cost I think. I mean sure 10 years I may have no interest in International Relations, or even History, but what it comes to is I want to make sure the 100K I blow on a education actually serves me for the rest of my life.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christoff
I don't know about pseudonym but one of the main reasons I am still un-easy about my education and what I want to do is because of the whole "you can do anything" that was rammed down my throat growing up by the system lol Now I am finding out this isn't true, and I wont be a Spaceman, and that Rocket Science is really just a lot of math and not a lot of boom. Kinda tosses you for a loop really in my mind.

To the reason why I and others fret over this issue is basically cost I think. I mean sure 10 years I may have no interest in International Relations, or even History, but what it comes to is I want to make sure the 100K I blow on a education actually serves me for the rest of my life.

My case is the opposite.

My whole family has been doing merchandising, retail, sales, etc. for their whole lives. They have this notion that Business, and whatever image that includes, is the best field to enter, considering all these Wall Street tightsuits.

So, basically, they've been pushing me to follow one route. I understand they want the best for me, but it's almost as if they don't care for the jobs that provide some sort of happiness. Their consensus is that happiness is equal to the amount of money you make.

That's the whole picture for me.

hnlax

Reaction score
i graduated in may from usc with a degree in international relations/global business. i became more interested in the business side of my schooling, but i think that has to do with the fact that the IR classes seemed moer esoteric and i didn't really see myself finding a job in ir.

i'm working for the government now. ir is definitely interesting, but it's about finding the right classes in the ir field that interest you more than anything. i got stuck in some classes that just did absolutely nothing for me interest wise, and that was a struggle, especially because the tests were based on the (extensive) amount of reading.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My case is the opposite.

My whole family has been doing merchandising, retail, sales, etc. for their whole lives. They have this notion that Business, and whatever image that includes, is the best field to enter, considering all these Wall Street tightsuits.

So, basically, they've been pushing me to follow one route. I understand they want the best for me, but it's almost as if they don't care for the jobs that provide some sort of happiness. Their consensus is that happiness is equal to the amount of money you make.

That's the whole picture for me.

Some form of business is where the money always is. Question is what form of business? Like you said that's your current predicament. I wouldn't worry too much about your end goal right now in your freshman year. Just keep an eye on what you are interested in generally and complete your core/required courses. Use the opportunity to try new things and pursue issues that are of interest to you. Maybe that will open a few doors for you and close some others. Then with the experience in hand, during your sophomore year choose a double major that allows you to pursue a field of interest (something you will enjoy learning) while staying marketable (some business related course).

Please be sure to pursue as many opportunities available to you while in school: study abroad, unpaid internships, paid internships, clubs/organizations, your alumni network etc. Really, your questions are great for reaching out to alumni from your school. They would really love to hear from a freshman with thoughtful questions about seeking a career.

And for god's sake, don't forget to get laid!

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks for that reply, Jodum5.

I have a small question to ask.

Usually, I see college students getting internships and such in their sophomore year and forward. However, I want to get as much experience as possible and discern my major (and interests) as well.

Would searching for internships as a freshman look bad? I'm sure the alumni and so on would feel less threatened by a curious freshman (or at least that's what I'm hoping).

P.S. - Given the responses in this thread, I have a feeling I will double major, because I honestly don't think I'm cut out to be like everybody else (including my guido-esque friends) who will pursue a Finance/Accounting major.

As I mentioned before, I absolutely hate sitting in an office in front of a computer, with the cubicle walls and so on.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Thanks for that reply, Jodum5.

I have a small question to ask.

Usually, I see college students getting internships and such in their sophomore year and forward. However, I want to get as much experience as possible and discern my major (and interests) as well.

Would searching for internships as a freshman look bad? I'm sure the alumni and so on would feel less threatened by a curious freshman (or at least that's what I'm hoping).

P.S. - Given the responses in this thread, I have a feeling I will double major, because I honestly don't think I'm cut out to be like everybody else (including my guido-esque friends) who will pursue a Finance/Accounting major.

As I mentioned before, I absolutely hate sitting in an office in front of a computer, with the cubicle walls and so on.

Your aversion to cubicles may be a problem. There are very few jobs that don't involve them at least at entry level. Cubicles aren't so bad once you personalize it with plants, soft lighting (a lamp or two), etc. It's never too soon to start looking for internships. The likelihood of getting something paid is low, though. You may want to consider traveling the summer after your freshman year, then after sophomore year worry about interning. IT's never too soon to reach out to alumni.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
You are 18. You will change your mind 100 times before you graduate due to influence from courses, professors and god knows what else. Just let it flow. Don't focus completely on making money, but don't end up as one of those Arts kids working in a call center; you'll regret it. I started in Poli sci, switched to finance, switched to economics, and finally found my home in Statistics and Probability.

In the beginning you should focus on making connections on your campus, with your professors, your friends... they're all potential bridges to employment.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, this thread sucks. =/

I'm 19, second year, but I'm almost a senior because I took a lot of college credits in high school, so I feel cornered into a major and I still have no ******* clue what to do.

Flickering between Business - Marketing (for the marketing, not so much the business) or Poli Sci (easy/laziness).

I pretty much did what most people advocate, took a lot of courses my freshmen year and tried a little bit of everything but I feel like it did me no good and I'm back in square 1.

+1 for you if you already have your mind set, don't let it be set in stone, but pick a direction to go in (so then you can worry about otherwise your freshmen year).

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel

I'm 19, second year, but I'm almost a senior because I took a lot of college credits in high school, so I feel cornered into a major and I still have no ******* clue what to do.

Flickering between Business - Marketing (for the marketing, not so much the business) or Poli Sci (easy/laziness).

I pretty much did what most people advocate, took a lot of courses my freshmen year and tried a little bit of everything but I feel like it did me no good and I'm back in square 1.

+1 for you if you already have your mind set, don't let it be set in stone, but pick a direction to go in (so then you can worry about otherwise your freshmen year).

Why do you feel cornered? I had a friend in the fourth year who just switched from international development to physics. It's never too late. If you spend more time than you should in school, *******, let it happen. It's better than rushing yourself with some degree you have no interest in.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
Why do you feel cornered? I had a friend in the fourth year who just switched from international development to physics. It's never too late. If you spend more time than you should in school, *******, let it happen. It's better than rushing yourself with some degree you have no interest in.

Because I feel like the whole reason I spent a lot of time in highschool taking college credits was so I could graduate early, save money, blah blah blah blah.

Basically I feel like I'm dicking around with large amounts of money.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Because I feel like the whole reason I spent a lot of time in highschool taking college credits was so I could graduate early, save money, blah blah blah blah. Basically I feel like I'm dicking around with large amounts of money.
Would you rather rush yourself with a ****** degree you hate just because you almost have enough credits for it and so that you can save some money, or would you rather spend a little more time and money figuring stuff out and being happy in the end. You aren't anywhere near panic territory. Once you're 25 and still not graduated and have no ideas, then you worry.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel

Double in Poli sci and marketing. It seems like you like marketing, and you find poli sci easy. Graduate and you can work in business or you can work on political stuff. Don't know why you'd want to graduate early (the later college years are most fun) but I suppose this will give you the opportunity to take a few semesters off for interning or studying abroad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads