• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Income/Clothes Spend ratio?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What percentage of your monthly salary do you spend on clothes, footwear, and accessories?

Me first: 15-20%

kali77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
No one else, including me, is going to touch this one.

Ditto. I don't even like to think about thinking about it
crazy.gif

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Don't they say housing should be around 30% of your monthly income? 20% seems a bit much, but if you can make ends meet, more power to you.

I'd guess mine is something between 3-5%.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Last I saw (1999-2000) in some of the research I did for my book was 5.9% of gross for the national average...So 10% for people like us is entirely reasonable as long as you're paying your other bills and not running up CC debt.

I'd say if you're living at home 15-20% would be OK.

And you may choose to drive a ****** car or live in a smaller house to feed your habit. I'm pretty sure a few have done that here as well.

I still think we should start our own 12 step group.

pejsek

Reaction score
I try to keep it to walking aroiund money in my pocket. Of course, I'll pull out the debit card for some $15-$20 Lobbs or EGs or, say, a $17 Savile Row suit.
I wouldn't enjoy clothes half as much as I do if it were costing me real money or cutting into my ability to put money to work. I absolutely hate being in debt or living on the edge. Just a personal thing, though.
How do we account for time spent chasing bargains?

JeffC

Reaction score
That was my question, pejsek. With all the goods you find, how much time per week do you spend hunting bargains at thrift stores?

pejsek

Reaction score
JeffC, On average, I probably spend 5-6 hours per week thrifting--sometimes more, sometimes less. Not that I'm claiming it's a healthy and trivial pursuit, however, since it probably took me 10 years or so of more intensive thrifting to be as efficient as I am today. As with any true passion, I am totally in thrall to the process. I like to think of it as Urban Anthropology (though those closest to me may not agree with such a self-serving asessment). Still, I feel much better spending the time than the money. Time is amorphous (even considering ill-fated attempts to assign value to opportunity costs); money much less so.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say that I have been spending quite a bit in the last 18 months rebuilding my wardrobe etc after discovering SF. Once the staples are in place, new suits, shoes, ties, shirts, trousers, jackets etc, expenses should stabilize, I hope
laugh.gif

stach

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I'd say if you're living at home 15-20% would be OK.
Yes, if you're living out of a shopping cart you might want to keep the excess baggage to a minimum!
tounge.gif

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
What percentage of your monthly salary do you spend on clothes, footwear, and accessories?
Pre or post tax? Huge difference. I would estimate my pretax %age at about 5%.

Don't they say housing should be around 30% of your monthly income?
The convention for prime has been 28%. But the housing bubble has thrown these WAY WAY out of proportion.

By far my two largest "expenses" are taxes and savings. Together they represent about 80% of my budget.

Yudi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
I'd say that I have been spending quite a bit in the last 18 months rebuilding my wardrobe etc after discovering SF. Once the staples are in place, new suits, shoes, ties, shirts, trousers, jackets etc, expenses should stabilize, I hope
laugh.gif

Yeah, this is pretty much true for me as well. I have a very sneaky feeling though that it won't work according to plan. As with all possessions, the more you have the more you want. I can't see it slowing down even after I have all the basics finally covered.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some months more, some months less. Depends on how big the credit card bill is (it gets paid off in full automatically at the end of the month). I also have all my various savings plans taking money automatically out of my bank account. If I notice the total in the account falling significantly I cut back the next month. Otherwise I keep spending.
smile.gif

I'm not telling you a percentage though!
tongue.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads