• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Income/Clothes Spend ratio?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that I may have the lowest, at least for tax year 2005 - 0.11% (yes, that is right).

for year to date, 2006, maybe half that.

Yudi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I think that I may have the lowest, at least for tax year 2005 - 0.11% (yes, that is right).

Either you earn some serious money or you are seriously thrifty with your purchases.
tounge.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I applied this ratio to my income, I may be able to get a shirt, a tie and some underwear...
tounge.gif

Freerider

Reaction score
I read survey from EU a couple of years ago on clothes spending. I remember that Italian men take the lead with 40 percent of their income on clothes. The barbarians are Danish men, who spend 5 percent of their income on clothes.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yudi
Either you earn some serious money or you are seriously thrifty with your purchases.
tounge.gif

actually, i did make a mistake with my decimal point. make that 1.1%
blush.gif

2004- 20 pair underwear, 20 pair socks, 3 hoodies, 3 tee shirts, maybe 3 or 4 sweat pants, 3 or 4 pair shorts, one pair sneakers
2005 - 2 pair shoes (bespoke vass ankle boots)
2006 - 6 ties, 3 or 4 pairs of shoe laces.

Yudi

Reaction score
actually, i did make a mistake with my decimal point. make that 1.1%
blush.gif

2004- 20 pair underwear, 20 pair socks, 3 hoodies, 3 tee shirts, maybe 3 or 4 sweat pants, 3 or 4 pair shorts, one pair sneakers
2005 - 2 pair shoes (bespoke vass ankle boots)
2006 - 6 ties, 3 or 4 pairs of shoe laces.

You went half a year buying only 6 ties and some shoelaces? Wow, I seriously admire your restraint. Your basic wardrobe must be top notch if all you need are little top ups like that.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yudi
You went half a year buying only 6 ties and some shoelaces? Wow, I seriously admire your restraint. Your basic wardrobe must be top notch if all you need are little top ups like that.

well, that and being unemployed. when I got a job the first thing I did was call Chuck and buy a couple of ties.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Freerider said:
I read survey from EU a couple of years ago on clothes spending. I remember that Italian men take the lead with 40 percent of their income on clothes. The barbarians are Danish men, who spend 5 percent of their income on clothes.[/Q

I can hold with this 'fact': I live in Italy and ain't Italian yet aspire to look as good as the locals. I can see where the euros go
wow.gif

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I have a question about the European styling. In my visits, I've noticed that Europeans tend to dress both better and more expensively. If European countries have a lower GDP per capita, their citizens spend *more* on clothing, and presumably they have a higher savings rate than the US, what is being crowded out? I tried asking my friend who's been studying in Paris this question, but she said something like "well healthcare is free or cheap" (completely disregarding the whole taxation issue). It sounds like Europeans must be giving something up in order to afford their clothing, but what is it? Cars?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
I have a question about the European styling. In my visits, I've noticed that Europeans tend to dress both better and more expensively. If European countries have a lower GDP per capita, their citizens spend *more* on clothing, and presumably they have a higher savings rate than the US, what is being crowded out? I tried asking my friend who's been studying in Paris this question, but she said something like "well healthcare is free or cheap" (completely disregarding the whole taxation issue). It sounds like Europeans must be giving something up in order to afford their clothing, but what is it? Cars?

No, cars are not cheap. Neither are insurance, registration, et.c. Healthcare costs are a significant reduction though, as are things like paid daycare et.c. Depends on the country and area, however.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Are you asking pre-tax or after tax income?
alien.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I do a lot of freelance work in addition to a full time job. I'd say half+ of that freelance scratch goes to gear.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
Are you asking pre-tax or after tax income?
alien.gif

GDP/capita is pre-tax, so I'm trying to wrap my mind around how Europeans can earn less money (pretax), have a higher tax rate, save more money (post-tax), AND purchase more expensive clothing without crowding some other 'consumption' out. Do Europeans just simply not purchase something that Americans do, or is there something in the American lifestyle that is vastly more expensive than its European counterpart (wine)? I feel like healthcare can't explain it all, as they're still paying for it through taxes - although they do pay less for prescription drugs (mooches), I doubt most young people who are buying designer stuff are really on that many drugs.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just scored. Twice.
Sorry
smile.gif

Well, many people who live here get good pension provision in the future, through taxes, of course. (something I think they'll soon have to wake up to, like France. Or, maybe not...)
Also, a lot of Italians, male and female, live at home with parents, grandparents, well into 20s and 30s till (sometimes never) they get married. (No rent) . And when they do, they often get an apartment/ house 'given' as a start-out 'present'. No mortgage.
I'm sure there are other reasons, too...
laugh.gif

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
On average, the material quality of living is substantially lower in Europe, even in Western Europe (compared to the U.S.). Europeans have fewer cars, air conditioning and home square footage per capita (the average "poor" person in the U.S. has a larger house than an average person in Europe). In other words, Europeans often lack many things Americans take for granted as being "normal" material possessions.

Europeans have lower disposable income and often do not have stocks and/or mutual funds. They often do not have second cars (that is, if they even have a car to begin with) or boats. According to a Swedish study, adjusted for PPP, 40% of, for example, the Swedish population would be considered living below the poverty line IF American standards of "poverty" were applied to Sweden. Simply put, the American poor have material comforts that middle-class Europeans often do not, especially outside affluent Western Europe.

The high savings rate in Europe depends to some extent on culture, but also on lack of available credit (inefficient and/or politically-controlled banking system) and comparatively high price of housing per income (one has to save up a LONG time to buy a house), that is to say, by necessity.

This was also the case, for example, in South Korea where a very high savings rate persisted... until the credit system was liberalized, leading to the plummeting of the savings rate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics