• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Include social club membership on resume?

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm young and just joined a private social club. The club is over 160 years old and has a lot of history and deep roots in my city. Should I include "Member of X Club" in my resume? If so, should I create it's own "Affiliations" subsection at the bottom of the page? Would it look strange given that it'd be the only affiliation in that section since I'm not a member of any professional organizations yet?

Thanks.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, this will only boost your resume. You will come off as a learned, well-connected, humble young man.
thumbs-up.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Yes, this will only boost your resume. You will come off as a learned, well-connected, humble young man.
thumbs-up.gif

this. i for one ONLY interview Golden Key members and would recommend that you add it to your resume, even if you aren't a member. make sure to bone up on the handshake prior to the interview. hope this helps.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I felt awkward when I included my membership to the hellfire club in my resume, specially after emma frost had to take a leave.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What club, what city? If it's Scores in NY, you might get some interest but not the kind you want.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just joined a prestigious gym in LA. I'm putting that on my resume under "interests".
teacha.gif
all joking aside, that would be the appropriate portion of your resume, but only if you have a really really weak resume where you would bother to put an "interests" section to take up space to get it to one page. It would be similar to a place you would list charitable organizations. really you should only put it in there if you contribute to the club in a meaningful way.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No matter how strong the resume is I always appreciate the interests section. It adds depth to the person you're interviewing and most importantly the chance to connect over something personal.

I think there are 3 possible reactions to including it:
1. They know of/are in The Club and it will be a huge plus (unlikely given tiny membership)
2. They have no idea what it is and will ignore
3. They'll think I'm a pompous d-bag for including such a thing.

1 is unlikely, 2 is neutral, and 3 is the only downside but I have no idea what the odds of that conclusion being reached are. I don't want to come off as entitled or a snob.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
does putting in "senior member" in styleforum help too?

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You only put in non-work things if it's voluntary community service/ peace corp/ red cross etc that shows that you're not a heartless bastard and that you emotionally invest in organizations.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
No matter how strong the resume is I always appreciate the interests section. It adds depth to the person you're interviewing and most importantly the chance to connect over something personal.

Are you speaking from an interviewer's standpoint or an interviewee's standpoint? How long is your resume?

If it's a club where you're chair, part time project manager, or part time accountant, then by all means put it on with the accomplishments relevant to what you're applying to.

If it's an organization where you earn some designation then you can put that along with your education credentials.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
So should I include my Sons of Confederate Veterans membership or what?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
this. i for one ONLY interview Golden Key members and would recommend that you add it to your resume, even if you aren't a member.

make sure to bone up on the handshake prior to the interview. hope this helps.

What field do you work in? You sound like a twit.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, if it's Augusta.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I've reviewed resumes, interests and non-professional affiliations have only helped me exclude candidates. It allowed me to act on my own prejudices. I know it's unfair, but I don't work in HR, and I was looking for someone who would be working very closely with me. There were a glut of qualified candidates, and if your hobbies screamed "douche", "meathead" or "neo-con", you went in the trash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads