• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inclement weather gear

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... or rain or the mud/slush that lingers afterwards.

Winter's coming here in Seoul, and that means lots of gunk piled onto streets and sidewalks. I don't feel like taking my Super 150's and Handgrades out for a stroll through it all, and seeing as how I often have to trek through the more hilly parts of the city (with lots of jagged concrete sidewalks, jagged presumably for traction) and possibly while it's raining or snowing, I'm in the market for some good weather-resistant dress clothes/shoes.

I know Kai made mention of the Veldtshoen boots that C&J offers. Someone else mentioned that C&J also sells rubber-sole shoes. I believe Tricker's sells Veldtshoen shoes in their Country line (judging from what I'm reading on Pediwear.) I've read some old posts about Aquascutum trenchcoats vs. Burberry. I'm definitely going to invest in a heavy suit for the winter.

So, after my attempt to glean information by Searching for it first (I recommend that new members try this first before asking questions like "What's the best suit/shoes/tailor" and "What does fused mean?"), I'm still wondering about the specifics. Anyone know some specific shoe models capable of handling routine inclement weather that will still look handsome even after getting roughed up, and can share some first-hand experiences? Anyone own both a Burberry coat and an Aquascutum one, and could comment on quality comparisons?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
When it snows here, I wear these "high tech" galoshes over regular dress shoes. They are made by Neos, and I think they cost $60. They are rubber and canvas (the sole is 100% rubber), and they come up to about mid-calf. The nice thing about that is they protect the trouser legs from slush and mud, etc.

The drawbacks: they are ugly as hell; they dull the shine on your shoes.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loro Piana's "Storm System" fabric is great for winter. It's like gore-tex, but with a wool face. If you can find such a coat, it might be a good investment.

The C&J shoes (boots actually) I own are the Snowdon model.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I can find overshoes here. I'm not surprised... I haven't seen a single Korean man or woman who managed to take good care of his or her footwear. The older ones don't even use shoehorns, and so squash the heels of their shoes permanently flat after years of wear. But they're great people nonetheless. This country used to have great cobblers before China took all the business away. I'm sure there's one or two of them around, probably down in Pusan. This will give me an excuse to visit. I took a look at the Snowdons. They look TOUGH. Hell, they look like they can survive a trip through the mountains on one of my snowboarding jaunts. I do need something a bit more refined, though, for city wear. The C&J Radstock looks viable, but it only comes in black.
sad.gif
I've heard great things about Loro Piana's Storm System, but I don't know if my tailor's shopowner can manage to get ahold of it at a decent price; import taxes are crazy here. I've seen such coats myself (RTW) going in the department stores for around $1,500 to $2,000, waaaaay outside my budget. I'll ask him, though; lots of these stores sell their overstock to the shopowner. Maybe he'll get lucky.

drljva

Reaction score
Loro Piana's "Storm System" fabric is great for winter.  It's like gore-tex, but with a wool face.  If you can find such a coat, it might be a good investment.  

The C&J shoes (boots actually) I own are the Snowdon model.
I second the nomination fo LP's Storm System gear as absolutely indispensable inclement weather gear. It's light and breathable, yet incredibly warm when it needs to be. In London, don't know what I'd do without my SS overcoat...

JV

soccemel

Reaction score
Where would one find a RTW Storm System coat in NY?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We just had snow in Boston, so my brain has been a little more focused on that question.

A few pairs of wool odd trousers in the works [with dreams of a tweed suit], and an upgrade to the winter footgear. Needed something that wasn't Cleverley/Wildsmith leather soled, but wasn't Sperry or LL Bean either.

So, I ordered the Conistons from Crockett & Jones (now just need a tweed suit to go with), another water-resistant pair with Gumlite soles, and I also sampled the Neos catalogue. The latter products just arrived, and I'm pretty psyched. The Neos Commuter are ankle-high, light, waterproof, and a snug fit around good shoes. The Navigator are a little easier to get in and out of, and can go knee high in a pinch. If that doesn't do the job, not sure what will.

Now I just need a pair of nice-ish black shoes with rubber soles for days when the pavement will be wet but I need shoes to accompany a good suit. Crockett & Jones, probably, but will see how the last order goes. [Pediwear]

Lint Brush

Reaction score
Re: the Loro Piana Storm System fabric, Brooks Brothers uses it (or licenses it) on several of their "Brookstorm" coats, which can be viewed on their website. It seems like a versatile fabric. Hope this is helpful.

Also, at Barneys I saw a Sanyo raincoat that was treated with a competing storm system fabric, but I don't remember the name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads