• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inception: Cillian Murphy's Suspenders

Mag1013

Reaction score
Hello All,

After seeing Inception, I've fallen in love with the suspenders that Cilian Murphy wears in the airplane scene (one of the last scenes in the movie). They are lovely tan-colored suspenders in a checked pattern, made of what looks like silk.

Here's an image of them:

cillian-murphy-inception_288x288.jpg

I know almost all of the clothing in Inception was custom-tailored for the movie. Does anyone know if the suspenders were as well, or if you can buy them anywhere? I've searched the net, but to no avail.

Mag1013

Reaction score
Found these ones on Jermyn Street that will have to do as a substitute. I like them quite a lot
smile.gif

JnmN1.jpg

Now I just need to have buttons added to my suit trousers. Anyone know a good tailor in London?

ville_e

Reaction score
Which store did you find those at? Looks like they are from Turnbull?
smile.gif
I'm also looking to find smth similar in London. Anyone have any suggestions on good stores for suspenders? If someone can ID those suspenders pictured that would be great!

burnbulb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mag1013
Found these ones on Jermyn Street that will have to do as a substitute. I like them quite a lot
smile.gif

JnmN1.jpg

Now I just need to have buttons added to my suit trousers. Anyone know a good tailor in London?

excellent find i too love cillians braces he wears them so well.

jawzzy

Reaction score
I never was super interested in seeing Inception, but now that I see those great braces I'll probably watch it tonight. Funny what SF can do to you.
crazy.gif

Mag1013

Reaction score
You are right, they are from Turnbull & Asser, cost was £80. They have a huge selection of suspenders/braces, would definitely recommend them if you're in the market for a pair.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt they are custom, as they look a bit too long for him, don't they? I always thought that the buckles should be about half way up the front, not almost at the shoulder.

Mag1013

Reaction score
Originally Posted by watchcollector2454
can you comment on the quality relative to thurston? or does thurston make their braces?

They are a very nice quality - made of silk with the back part stretchable. I like the silk because almost every other brace I've seen is made of some sort of cloth material. Silk just looks more classy. I don't know if Thurston makes them but it would be easy enough to call Turnbull and ask.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Of course, one underlying issue no one has mentioned involves the hassle these days with trying to get through airport screening while wearing braces. (Is there some reason why screening can apparently be set up to ignore the metal of trouser zippers and wedding rings, but the small metal adjusters on braces is pretty much a guaranteed way to ensure that you're going to be pulled out and subjected to enhanced manual screening?) On occasion I've been known to just leave my braces in my carryon until such time as - having passed security - I can duck into the nearest restroom and restore them to their proper place on my trousers.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PITAronin
Of course, one underlying issue no one has mentioned involves the hassle these days with trying to get through airport screening while wearing braces. (Is there some reason why screening can apparently be set up to ignore the metal of trouser zippers and wedding rings, but the small metal adjusters on braces is pretty much a guaranteed way to ensure that you're going to be pulled out and subjected to enhanced manual screening?) On occasion I've been known to just leave my braces in my carryon until such time as - having passed security - I can duck into the nearest restroom and restore them to their proper place on my trousers.

Only thing I can think of is the height of the buckles vs. the height of your trouser fly/watch/cuff links/wedding ring when walking through. You can always try just letting them fall off and hang down when walking through (even though that looks silly as hell).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Were the clothes really custom in this movie? I felt like a lot of what I saw was too big in the shoulders? I could be mistaken as it has been a while since I saw it in the theaters.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
I watched the movie the first time for the sake of the movie, but I will readily admit the reason I downloaded it after seeing it in the cinema was because of those braces. Also love the steel-tips on Eames' shoes in the same scene as the one with the braces, and also the fact that the one englishman in the film (eames) is wearing red socks.(you see this in the mombassa scenes)

The braces at turnbull are indeed from thurston... The big difference though is that classic thurston braces are not in silk, (think they have one or two models that are), while turnbull does a lot of silk, from what I understand manufactured from the same silk used in their ties. Apparently durability is a big issue with silk braces, so save them for those special occations (assuming the cost is an issue).

As for cillian's braces in Inception. I would speculate that they are probably manufactured by Thurston, as quite frankly there aren't all that many others making good braces these days. However, which label they are made for is another matter, as thurston makes a lot for other labels, using their pattern choices and such. They seem to be made from silk, so it's not a bad bet that it may be turnbull, and in any case the best place to get look-a-likes is probably turnbull as they are the ones to my knowledge that do the most in silk. The first time I saw them I thought of them more as pale yellow, but I guess it is more of a cream, close to tan colour. The colour combo of the braces, shirt and tie really is excellent in that scene.

EDIT:
One thing that would go against the theory that they are from Turnbull though... From what I've seen Turnbull's braces allways have leather ends. It's tough to tell, but it looked to me as if the ones Cillian is wearing in Inception have braided ends, like the ones Thurston do for some of the braces in their evening-wear collection.
EDIT EDIT: My mistake, they are in fact leather ends, so they look very much like turnbull's.

Oh yeah also, great braces you've found. Really nice. Nice soft colour that should go with most ties and shirt combos, and a good pattern that is in no way dominating, but makes it a bit more interesting to the eye than a plain one might be. If only they had the silk one's in XL (115 cm) I might be sporting a similar pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads