1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Inappropriate to wear a navy suit to a semi-formal event?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AvariceBespoke, Nov 3, 2010.

1. AvariceBespoke

AvariceBespoke Senior member

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would wear a suit too. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. If you want to tone it down maybe an OCBD with no tie, maybe even sweater over it under the jacket?

3. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

It's not inappropriate at all.

To make it a bit more formal, wear a white spread collar shirt with french cuffs. Dress it up with some shiny cufflinks, a solid colored tie (gold, bright red, silver, metallic blue, etc.), a silk pocket square and a pair of polished black lace-up shoes.

4. patrickBOOTH

To make it a bit more formal, wear a white spread collar shirt with french cuffs. Dress it up with some shiny cufflinks, a solid colored tie (gold, bright red, silver, metallic blue, etc.), a silk pocket square and a pair of polished black lace-up shoes.

I took semi-formal once the OP said "not black tie" as fairly "business casual".

5. AvariceBespoke

I took semi-formal once the OP said "not black tie" as fairly "business casual".

Sorry if my terms were not clear. Essentially it is not-black tie but it is relatively formal.

When I said, semi-formal, I meant "not black tie"

6. patrickBOOTH

Sorry if my terms were not clear. Essentially it is not-black tie but it is relatively formal.

When I said, semi-formal, I meant "not black tie"

Then French cuffs on a white shirt should do it. Technically semi-formal is black tie. I guess that is why I assumed you wanted to look more casual.

7. AvariceBespoke

I was going to wear spread collar bright white shirt w french cuffs, antiqued brown shoes (borrelli esq)

i need to decide upon the tie and pocket square

8. AvariceBespoke

Then French cuffs on a white shirt should do it. Technically semi-formal is black tie. I guess that is why I assumed you wanted to look more casual.

I understand - thanks for clarifying.

I need to decide on tie / ps combo now.

9. AvariceBespoke

10. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I've done this in the past but I don't want to wear a p. design tie this time around - think I may go w/ a solid

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...1&d=1254579311

That pocket square or a plain white silk one would be fine. I'd definitely go with a solid tie. Paisley just strikes me as a more casual/daytime look.

And while I know it goes against SF ideology [​IMG] , I'd still argue that black shoes and belt are more formal for an evening event like this.

11. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Solid tie. or something that is simple with lines or dots. Nothing over the top.

-LR

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

This is perhaps the weakest remedial thread in SF history.

- B

13. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Attending a large 200pp dinner/cocktail party at a country club this weekend. Is it inappropriate to wear a navy suit? If one did wear a navy suit what would be appropriate shirt/tie/accessories to make it more appropriate for the evening? This is not a black-tie event but it is an evening dinner party that will resemble a wedding.

Why wouldn't you be able to wear a navy suit? If its not black tie, then something like a navy suit is the obvious next step down in formality. I would probably wear it with a white french-cuff shirt, then choose whatever tie takes your fancy.

14. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

^^^^ This.

15. Viral

Viral Senior member

incorrect.

Semi-formal = suit and tie
    Formal = tuxedo (aka black tie)

16. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

incorrect.

Semi-formal = suit and tie
    Formal = tuxedo (aka black tie)

Actually, you're the one who's incorrect.

Business attire: suit and tie
    Semi-formal: Black tie at night, Stroller during the day.
    Formal: White tie at night, Morning coat during the day.

These days, formal events are usually only black tie, but semi-formal is a specific phrase that means black tie. "Formal attire" means a tailcoat, traditionally anyway. And as long as the original meanings are still in use, the new definitions will be incorrect.

17. GBR

GBR Senior member

Suit should be OK although many won't bother. No tie however.

18. EBugatti

EBugatti Senior member

This is perhaps the weakest remedial thread in SF history.

- B

+10000 [​IMG]

These days, formal events are usually only black tie, but semi-formal is a specific phrase that means black tie. "Formal attire" means a tailcoat, traditionally anyway. And as long as the original meanings are still in use, the new definitions will be incorrect.

You are correct. However, today, the more common designations/understandings are:

Informal: Blazer and tie
    Semi-formal: Dark suit and tie
    Formal: Tuxedo

And really, as more and more people are becoming style-challenged slobs, I find that if you want people to show up in a tux, you need to put "Black Tie" or even "Black Tie Required" on the invitation; otherwise "Formal" is being interpreted increasingly as suit and tie.

19. Viral

Viral Senior member

if we are going way back in time then you would be right - but we're not!

[​IMG]

20. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

+10000 [​IMG] You are correct. However, today, the more common designations/understandings are: Informal: Flip flops, cargo shorts, t-shirt Semi-formal: Dark suit and tie Formal: Tuxedo
    FTFY Put "informal" on an invitation at your peril.
    if we are going way back in time then you would be right - but we're not! [​IMG]
    Sorry, but he is right. To the extent that "semi-formal" has any actual meaning, it means "black tie." The problem is that "black tie" barely has any standard, agreed meaning, much less "semi-formal."