• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In what order do people start there outfits when choosing what to wear?

Jizzman

Reaction score
I think for me I usually start with the shirt, and then find pants and shoes to match it with. So I basically start from the top and work down. Is everyone else the same? In what order do you people do this?

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally start with underwear and go from there.

Hellkamp

Reaction score
Being a high school teacher I rarely wear a suit, but I wear an odd jacket almost every day.

That being said, I usually start by deciding which jacket I'm going to wear. Then I choose my pants and a pair of shoes that match. Almost all of my shirts are blue with different hues and patterns so it becomes a little easier to decide a shirt. Lastly I choose my tie. Sometimes I'll even wait until I'm fully dressed before I chose my tie.

As an exception, If I decide to wear a pocket square that's not white linen then that is the absolute last item I choose.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But do you go up or down from there? That's the question

It depends, really. Sometimes there's a tie I've been wanting to wear and I'll build around that. Sometimes it's the suit first. Sometimes it's the shoes.

Often i stand in the closet and perform an advanced multi-variable equation involving suit, shirt, tie and shoes, all at once to come up with the optimal solution.

Wayward

Reaction score

Please be serious, serious question

Notice how in every topic you start, there's a snarky comment about your username? And you wonder why people don't take your topics seriously?

Secondly, it's "their", not "there".

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typically by variability of items. After the basics:

Suit
Shirt
Shoes/boots
Tie

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It depends, really. Sometimes there's a tie I've been wanting to wear and I'll build around that. Sometimes it's the suit first. Sometimes it's the shoes.

Often i stand in the closet and perform an advanced multi-variable equation involving suit, shirt, tie and shoes, all at once to come up with the optimal solution.

Same here. Sometimes I feel like wearing a certain shirt. Sometimes a certain pair of shoes. Sometimes a certain pair of pants. But I guess it's usually shoes and pants first, since they have to go together well, and most of my shirts will go with anything.

If I still had to wear suits, it would probably be suit first.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads