In what occasion can a man wear DB suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Jul 26, 2006.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Guys,

I always had hard on for a nice 6 x 2 DB suit. I am not interested in one of those modern skinny peak lapel DB suits. I like a nice classic Kiton 6 x 2 DB suit. But I would like to know

a) is db suit more formal than SB suit?
    b) is db suit dead, stylingwise?

Thanks

2. Stu

Stu Senior member

Guys,

I always had hard on for a nice 6 x 2 DB suit. I am not interested in one of those modern skinny peak lapel DB suits. I like a nice classic Kiton 6 x 2 DB suit. But I would like to know

Thanks

My opinion is just that, and does not carry the weight of Mantonesque scholarship, but I think:

a: yes
    b: hell no. To me a DB is timeless. I like to wear one occassionally with a white linen square just to mix things up. I love DB suits.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Interestingly, in the old London tradition, DB was considered less formal than SB three piece, as the DB coat was sort of a "coat plus vest hybrid" and therefore more of a true "lounge" suit. Americans have mostly considered the DB more formal, however.

4. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I only have one DB suit, and wear it only to the opera or a very nice dinner.

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

FWIW, my opinion is

a) yes
    b) no

I own one DB suit and I'm waiting for an evening event where a business suit is required in order to wear it (e.g. a company dinner).

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I have a couple of DBs and don't think they're outdated. Different, yes, certainly and they do attract more attention. But not outdated. I'm not sure I consider them more or less formal than SB though. Perhaps slightly more formal than SB in 6x2 format and slightly less in 4x2, and I think certainly less formal in either 6x1 or 4x1.

YMMV, of course.

7. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

It's a false difference on the double-breasted suit has too formal (USA) and too informal (UK). If the suit fits well and feels well, then it's the right suit for the occasion.

8. sammy

sammy Senior member

I have always admired guys who can wear DB suits. Since I am 5'6", I have always shied away from DBs thinking that they can only be worn successfully by taller men. But since the Duke and Fred Astaire were about my height and were fans of the DB suit, I'm starting to change my opinion.

9. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Whenever he damn well pleases, though perhaps not to the pool.

10. Buster

Buster Senior member

A slight twist on the first post: I wear suits (only/mainly) when I teach. Would it be appropriate to teach in a DB? Have you had a professor wearing a DB to class?

11. GBR

GBR Senior member

Guys,

Thanks

A) In general no it is not. Some might suggest it could when worn fastened (which it should be) as it tends to create a greater aura of reserve about the wearer.

B) No.

12. summej2

summej2 Senior member

I have always admired guys who can wear DB suits. Since I am 5'6", I have always shied away from DBs thinking that they can only be worn successfully by taller men. But since the Duke and Fred Astaire were about my height and were fans of the DB suit, I'm starting to change my opinion.

Certainly! Though I'm 5' 3" I wear a DB blazer; if cut well I think it can work. In my case I like the lapel to roll low and a fair bit of waist supression to help elongate the look.

13. kronik

kronik Senior member

Whenever the f he feels like it, all while saying, "I'm a grown ass man, and I'll do what I want."

14. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

a) is db suit more formal than SB suit? b) is db suit dead, stylingwise?
    a) I don't think so, but then again I have the Euro perspective, as Manton explained it. I think a DB often is perceived as more rakish/racy/spivvy than a SB, and so I would think of it as slightly less formal, in principle. b) Certainly not. Actually, it seems to be about to make a slight comeback in fashion, as far as I can see.

15. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

A slight twist on the first post: I wear suits (only/mainly) when I teach. Would it be appropriate to teach in a DB? Have you had a professor wearing a DB to class?

Ask yourself why it would be inappropriate to teach in a DB if it is appropriate to teach in a SB. As far as the second, I've only had three professors who wore suits while teaching. One did the single breast + vest. The other two did single breasts. One of them wore what I suspect to be the same suit every day.

IE if you feel like doing it, DO IT. No one is going to say "Oh he's a great teacher but I can't respect him because he wears a DB suit while he teaches..."