Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been ou

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by itsstillmatt, Aug 1, 2011.

1. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Senior member

+1
    The only other option here is to not pay you share, pitch a fit, ruin the mood, and be remembered as being cheap.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

^^ Interesting. I'm talking about a few minutes here. So you're saying leave the knife and fork at rest as if I was still eating until the last person finishes then we all move our cutlery to signal to the waiter that it's cool to take the plates away. Do we go in reverse order of finishing or act simultaneously? Tines up or down?

Can someone cite a reference?

lefty

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

3. KJT

KJT Senior member

Yeah this seems overkill. When I finish eating my cutlery goes to the off position. When everyone at the table has done this, then the waiter should clear the plates. Why is that so hard?

4. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Do you really want to know?

5. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I'm surprised by the amount of anxiety caused by restaurants/tipping/manners. It's never something I've put much thought into until these recent threads. My strategy:

• In North America I tip 15% to 20%
    • If gratuity is included at a North American establishment I'll still usually tip 10% if I had a good time.
    • I always include the entire bill when calculating a tip.
    • I rarely tip in Europe. Given the fact that I'm still relatively young, some servers view it as an insult.
    • I tip barristas and bartenders between $1 and $2 an order. Not including Starbucks. Starbucks is shit.
    • If I'm in a third world country I'll tip what I would back home.
    • I hate tipping valet parking attendants but I usually give around $5.
    • I don't decrease a tip if there is something wrong with my food. I decrease the tip if the server doesn't make an effort to correct the situation.
    • Giving me something for free is a great way to get a better tip.
    • I put my cutlery in the off position when I'm done eating. I don't particularly care if they take it away before everyone else is done. That being said, I take care to finish at the same time as my dining partners. I'm a fast eater so I have to consciously slow down.

6. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Someone compared azuki beans to the death of baby Jesus? Blasphemer, that's reason enough not to dine with him
    I just say online most of the time and they leave it at that, if it's someone who seems like they'd actually be interested in clothes (and, to be honest, seem like they'd be willing to pay for it) I may be more specific.

And the oft posed question, should they really be bringing their little ones to such places knowing they're not going to be perfectly behaved for one reason or another?

7. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

As for tipping, the method I use is to double the tax, round off. That is usually about %17-18 and the math is super simple. I over tip when getting comped.

8. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Nope. Growing up, the only ever real threat I got from my dad was to never, under any circumstance, embarrass him in public. My life was on the line every time we went to a restaurant. I never caused any problems and other diners would routinely come over to our table and complement me and my siblings on our table manners. It happened frequently enough that it was one of the reasons why we liked going out.

9. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Well, what are "such places?" There are certainly places that should be off limits to all but the best behaved children but those are fairly limited. And remember, no matter how good a job you do as a parent and how well behaved the kid is in general, they all have bad moments (except mine of course).

10. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

Ha! Good one.

11. freedom_fries

Servers in Europe do not view tips as an insult. One doesn't tip as much as in the US, of course, but if you don't tip at all you will look like an ass.

12. scientific

scientific Senior member

please. you know you wear the scrubs so tha ladies know you're a doctor

13. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

When I was in Paris a waiter turned down my tip because I was a student.

14. freedom_fries

that waiter was literally insane.

but in all seriousness, people often take me for a student despite my advanced age (for american standards), and i have never had a tip refused anywhere, by anyone (in france, other europe, or otherwise). i believe this happened, but i'm wary of taking it as an indicator of tipping practices in general in france (i can say with certainty it is not the case in the DACH).

15. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011