In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been ou

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by itsstillmatt, Aug 1, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I definitely agree with that. I am not a photo clicker simply for the fact that I miss so much trying to get good pictures. All the times I have travelled I have never taken photos. My memories serve me well enough.

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I'm not much of photo taker myself but I can see the attraction, both as a hobby and a marker of memories.

3. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

tl;dr/Colin Powell warning:

Did I make too big of a deal out of this? The following chain led to some friction afterwards.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

4. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I worry that when taking photos on trips, the time between them becomes lost.

5. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I'd look at it like this, your are the master of your own home and can enforce any rule you like. To some degree this extends outside the home, at my own table I'd tell my brother or my kids to get their feet off the chair, but the manager/owner is the one who decides what goes in their establishment. If they are comfortable with feet on chairs, it's really their call. The insult is not so egregious that needs must you take action. That said, the world is full of the ignorant and savage so next time keep a Best Made close at hand to lend proper gravitas to your meaningful stares.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

M, you simply can't stop there. We know she didn't.

Speaking of mothers and their odd antics...I only visit mine every couple of years and at least once or twice she is part of a party for a dinner at one of the area's nicer eateries, such as they are. She has developed this thing where she will only have water throughout the meal. If an attempt is made to refill her glass she gets very pissy. If the bus person tries to refill her glass more than once she will grouse about it the entire meal. Then come dessert, she will not have any, but if a coffee does not arrive almost instantly, she again starts to grouse.

Speaking of water glasses, and let's toss in wine, how big of a faux paus is it for the staff to reach in and pick up your glass for refilling? If they pick it up by the rim vs. the bottom or stem? Would you say anything?

8. randallr

randallr Senior member

Epic. Bill is actually pretty understanding. I was with him at a club in Atlanta once and a big guido thought it would be funny to play with his pocket square. Mr. Nay calmly made a joke out of it. What should he have done?

9. Piobaire

Offered to give him the PS to wipe his ass with because the stench tells me it's not something he usually does without help from his momma.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

It is hard for me to imagine anybody picking up a wine glass by the rim. Have you actually seen this? I would never say anything about picking it up by the stem, but the rim???

11. randallr

randallr Senior member

The only thing about that was that this guy was quite a bit bigger than both of us combined. Think 6'3" 300 and pretty cut. I had a little liquid courage in my and had to bite my tongue a little bit. I think Bill is a little more used to the asshattery that goes on in Atlanta.

12. Piobaire

Seen it. Hard to believe, no? I asked for a fresh glass and a fresh pour.

My understanding is that Nay has a diminuitive stature? If so, this guy was even a bigger douche than first read indicates. I don't know what I would have done; it would probably have been dependent on mood and my posse sized up against his and also what his actions were like exactly. At this stage in life I probably would have avoided a fight because at some point in life you can win the fight but still be the loser. Doesn't mean you can't let the guy know he's a douche though in a manner where escalating would look like even a bigger douche.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

whenever the ice cream I order is being handed to me, I usually grab it by the actual ice cream instead of the cone - is this considered rude?

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You just look at the guy, fix the square, and say "Man, I don't even know you. Don't touch me. It's not cool. " and leave it at that. wtf are you going to do? Challenge him to kumite? Make your point, and let it go. Most likely, he will be uncomfortable, and make another douchey comment, but the likelihood of his actually escalating the situation when you are calm, not making aggressive gestures or using aggressive language, and you make him seem lame and immature, is pretty low. This from someone who used to work a door, and is about 165 lbs when lean and muscled out. It's all about putting people in their place without provoking them.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's your icecream. You should grab it with your mouth for next level effect.