In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been ou

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by itsstillmatt, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Mafoo: the nice thing with friends (well in theory) is that you can be forward with them. Just explain the situation and see what can satisfy both couples, no need for convoluted approaches.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

You had said the scene was more important to them than the food? Work on that angle. "Sure, the scene is great but I think they overcharge for the food because of it. I'm more in the mood for a great meal than a great scene tonight..."

3. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

Are you joking?

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

Really? You leave your knife and fork at rest until everyone is finished? Never done that.

lefty

5. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

Why does this make a difference? Waiters should never clear plates until all are finished, right?

6. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

My mother, who always has had decent etiquette, recently began resting her elbows on restaurant tables and taking unimportant phone calls when eating with a group. Am I justified in implying that it may be a sign of early onset Alzheimers in order to curb the odd behavior? If not, am I justified in saying it just for the laugh? Thanks in advance.

7. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

:laugh:
    Perhaps your mother is no longer interested in these groups dinners

8. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

it depends no? lets say one person only orders one dish and the other three order 2 dishes.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

My mother started to be this way after my father died. I think she spends too many meals alone now to care, but I am totally going with the Alzheimers comment to scare her back into shape.

10. Fuuma

My guess is that it really is about meals alone, happens a lot with old people.

11. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Definite win with win-win potential I figure.

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

what do you do about people staring?

I realize if you order something interesting (especially an indulgent dessert) you're going to get looks. My wife and I get this a lot in Europe/Asia/ and most notably older people in general.

Sure a nice long glance is fine, but damn a lot of the time people will glare at you while your eating.

also what do you do when your friends are out and you're in your work clothes/specific uniform? - specifically in my case I'll be in scrubs and running late and do want to hang out, but I don't want to commute back and forth just to change into regular clothes (i'm already late as is - and don't want to meet up with a group in the middle/finishing eating dinner or when they already have 2-4 drinks in them). I'm married and don't really care about looking good for other women, so when I have old friends who want to meet up in a casual restaurant/bar I'll just go straight in in scrubs and at least say hi.

13. Fuuma

1) Can't do anything about people staring, let them do it and politely ignore them (no nose thumbing). If they take pictures though you can throw plates at them.
    2) Keep a change of clothes, no one wants to see you in scrubs. It can be a tee shirt, jeans and sneakers, how hard is it to have that laying around?

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

At a restaurant in France recently, we were scolded by a man (middle aged) at the table next to us for not taking pictures. He turned to us and proclaimed that we were missing half the fun of dining. This was while a saddle of lamb was being carved for us at the table, and it was obvious that he was upset that he ordered differently, so I, somewhat snarkily, offered that he should feel free to take his own pictures of our lamb. To my surprise, he smiled broadly, stood up and started snapping.

15. Fuuma

Civilization of the commentary; we take more time documenting and discussing/debriefing our lives than actually living it. I think Kahneman *gasp* said some good stuff regarding that.