1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been ou

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by itsstillmatt, Aug 1, 2011.

1. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Last dinner party I attended I brought a 12-year-old Canadian Cheddar. Appreciated.

Guy owned a vineyard, so I didn't want to put him on this spot with a bottle of wine.

lefty

2. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Not sure if srs. :confused:

@mordecai. Already enough said, flowers and/or wine is fine.

3. gort

gort Well-Known Member

I am serious. Enlighten me....the only way I've ever seen wasabi used with sushi is mixing it with soy sauce. Please advise this american sushi noob.

4. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Um, whenever I add wasabi -- which I only do when eating sashimi because the sushi cook already adds the amount of wasabi that is needed to sushi -- I smear some (a little) on the sashimi with the chopsticks. May not be the correct way, but it's far better than making a mess of soy sauce and wasabi.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Dab a bit on the sushi- technically you shouldn't mix it into the shoyu dish. Every American does anyway but...

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

if you're actually eating real sushi and the chef respects himself, you won't even be offered wasabi in the first place. So in that case, if you're actually getting little mounds of wasabi, treat it like hot sauce, spread it on everything, whatever.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  7. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

So this weekend I am a groomsman in a wedding. I've never been in a wedding party before. At any point(rehearsal dinner, reception)...am I expected to make a toast?

Any other rules to groomsmanning I should know?

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

you don't need to do anything unless you're best man, otherwise just follow the directions and stay quiet.

3 people like this.
  9. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Yup. In Germany they always give some to you (even the "real" Japanese chefs). Mostly because they are annoyed that every customer will ask for it anyway, so they add some in advance. People need to understand that you need to season lightly to actually taste the fish.

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

when you bring wine, the expectation shouldn't be that they serve it with the meal, it's a present.

11. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Bang as many bridesmaids as possible.

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

+1

13. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

I'm bringing a bottle of champagne to a nice restaurant on Friday. Should I chill it beforehand, or just give it to my waiter at room temp?

14. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Give it to the waiter and have a sherry or a martini while it chills. It chills in 20 mins in water and ice.

15. Powertrip

Powertrip Well-Known Member

So, I've never been exposed to proper napkin etiquette. In the past when I've gone with my girlfriend to a steakhouse or other place that uses cloth napkins, I've tucked it into the collar of my shirt. My girlfriend gets this embarrassed look on her face like I'm being an idiot.

Am I wrong or should I just lay it in my lap? It seems to me that the point of the napkin is to keep food off my shirt, and granted I should be eating in such a way that this wouldn't happen but Murphy is a close and personal friend of mine. Am I wrong?

Also, since it was brought up before but only partially addressed... Where does the napkin go when finished with your meal. I've never been to any really elite restaurants, mainly due to budget constraints, but I'd like to conduct myself in such a way that I wouldn't be out of place if I ever do.

Thanks everyone!

16. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

I personally place the napkin on my lap. I haven't done the napkin in collar thing since I was a child and I don't see it often (if at all) in restaurants. I can only see doing the collar thing if you're really worried you'll get stuff all over your shirt or jacket (like eating crabs or lobster).

You put the napkin on the table when you're done.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  17. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

start the meal and during the meal on your lap, if you have to get up during the meal put it on your chair (ie once it's 'in use' it never goes back on the table, that would be like spitting out food and putting it on the table). IMO, and this may just be me, but I never put the napkin back onto the table until we're really done done, meaning basically getting up to leave or at least right until the plates are being cleared. Even then, I never just toss it on the plate, I prefer to sort of fold it and slip it under the side of the plate.

18. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

You're at a 3 michelin star restaurant. The hostess walks ahead of your lady then you. She finds you a two top with two chairs. She pulls one out for your lady. Do you wait to be seated as well or do you seat yourself?

-Plebeian

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

You can seat yourself, but not until your date is already seated. That goes for any restaurant, regardless of stars.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    4 people like this.
  20. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i usually fold my napkin neatly and put it on the edge of the table. must be a boor.

1 person likes this.