1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been ou

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by itsstillmatt, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

appetizer = entree

When will you merkans lern to talk proppa like.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

What do you think about the saltiness of our food?

3. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Kyle, if I ordered 3 or 4 hors-d'oeuvres and asked them to pace these, would that clear up any confusion?

I suppose I also meant to ask if it was considered rude socially (to the restaurant and to your fellow diners). Improper not to partake of designated courses or something?

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Nah, not rude at all. We're more than happy to take your money. Honestly, apps usually have better markups anyway :devil:

As far as other ppl in your party go, I would assume that theyd feel free to orser mains if they wanted to.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  5. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

The unspoken rule of casual sushi joints is that, if you eat at the bar, you have to consume any freebies the chef sends your way. Not eating them is considered an insult to the chef's prowess, taste, and hospitality. Right?

What do I do if my friends and I are regulars at a local spot, and often get said compliments from the chef -- but one of us has decidedly less adventurous tastes, thereby not eating 90% of what comes his way? Are the rest of us obligated to divide his food amongst ourselves? And are we allowed to give him shit about why he wants to sit at the sushi bar to begin with? He's a good guy, but kind of an overly fussy eater. He's the kind of guy who'd order chicken teriyaki, were it on the menu.

6. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Thoughts on not closing your tab with particularly poor bar service and just eating the automatic 15% gratuity rather than tipping the customary $x/drink? Déclassé or okay?

Also, appropriate response if you're at a shitty(read: Applebee's, TGI Fridays, and the like) restaurant for some work team-building crap dinner and your waiter doesn't bring all your entrees out at the same time? Should this be accepted and tolerated if you're at a place known to suck ass anyways?

7. Jackie Treehorn

I've never been at a TGI Friday's, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's, etc., where that hasn't happened. Seems to be par for the course. It's a given that somebody's entree is going to show up 20 minutes after everyone else has been served. Just hope it's not yours. It's a bit like Russian Roulette that way.

Also, humbly suggest to whoever's organizing these outings that s/he select a non-shitty restaurant next time. Hell, even P.F. Chang's is a tiny upgrade from those dumps, and chances are there's probably one in the vicinity.

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

It reminds me, a year or so ago I was given a $30 TGI Fridays gift card from an aunt as a graduation present, so I asked my girlfriend at the time if she would accompany me to the hell hole so I could burn it. She gracefully obliged and agreed it would be good for some laughs if nothing else. Guess what happens? They bring out my entree a solid 5 minutes before my girlfriend's, telling her that hers takes a little longer to prepare(it was something ghastly like chicken fritters or beef sizzlers or whatever the fuck they name their shit). I was astonished.

9. sns23

sns23 Senior member

Nothing. Different people like different things. It is not his or her fault. I will never be forced to eat something i do not want to just because of some unspoken rule.

10. Jackie Treehorn

You are without honor.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I always ask to get things "coursed." Nothing worse, IMO, than multiple plates showing up at once.

12. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

We are going to a dinner that a friend is hosting tonight. We asked if we should bring anything and he said no. We said we would bring wine and he said there was no need, that he had a case of what he wanted to serve. Is it tacky to bring something or to not bring something?

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Just bring a bottle of wine anyway. Or flowers. Nothing else. Dont show up with a plate of food.

When you ask that question, 90% they will say no. 90% of the time they want a bottle of wine.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  14. lefty

lefty Senior member

Don't think I've ever shown up empty handed to dinner at someone's home. Flowers work, though it would be nice if you vase them yourself to save the host the trouble.

lefty

15. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Yeah, I was thinking of bringing a good wine, but flowers are kind of a nice idea. Thanks guys.

16. gort

gort Senior member

How are you supposed to use the wasabi then?

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wine is better. You cant drink flowers.

Be a baller and scoop it in your mouth in one go.

18. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

19. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    you can't really do anything wrong as long as you bring something. flowers are always good (our house is usually full after a dinner party). but a thoughtfully picked out wine would be good too ... just don't expect to have it opened just because you brought it. a good book on something you know they're interested in. our restaurant critic is about my favorite dinner guest and she keeps a box of tchotchkes, etc. to bring as gifts. she brought some nice salt once. another time she burned the whole series of beatles mono re-issues. a gift like that really sticks in your mind.

20. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Bring edible flowers. Impress your friends.