In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been ou

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by itsstillmatt, Aug 1, 2011.

1. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

I tend to ignore the foolishness and hope they'll get the hint.

Tip would go from 20% to 15%

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

You try to be as accommodating as possible with kids. First time, talk to them nicely and ask them not to. Next, go to the parents. Know that they might freak because people are so damn touchy about their kids. If they do, talk to the manager. Even if a kid is acting badly, you don't want to snap at them, and coming down hard on their parents might feel good, but it won't get you the results you want, and you will spend the rest of the evening at your table fuming.

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Def, wtf.

4. CouttsClient

Yikes.

My mother has a habit of leaving actual notes when she has a particularly memorable dining experience. Sometimes glowing praise. Sometimes...not

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

A couple we like to spend time with always manuevers to pick the restaurant. This occurs even when they ask us to choose a place. After we make reservations at a restaurant that fits their preferences for location, cuisine, and price, they will often contact us just a few hours before dinner to say they aren't comfortable with the menu because of certain religious dietary limitations. Needless to say, these limitations never appear to be the real issue. To add insult to injury, they are more interested in the scene than the food, so we always feel like we overspent at a mediocre restaurant.

What would you do?

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Tell Mr. Nay to stop being a little bitch, and inform him that being a hick carries no real dietary restrictions.

7. CouttsClient

Stop giving in to them and go where you want to go. If they can't be bothered to actually let you pick the location then stop going to eat with them.

Is that so difficult?

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can't stand whenever waiters or waitresses ask me questions when my mouth is full. I don't take away from their tip, but I do finish chewing and swallowing and before answering hoping they get the point. I love these awkward moments.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I sort of do this. It's happened a few times and I tell the child it is impolite to touch things on a someone else's table and they should go re-join their parents. A couple of times the kid gave the "fuck you, I'm doing it anyway" grin and I told them, "I'm not your parent. I mean what I said. Do not touch things here and leave now." That seems to always get their attention, when you draw a distinction between yourself and the parents. I think they feel all adults will indulge the special flower and being told not leaves an impression. The one or two times this did not work I skipped the parents and just had the manager sent over. I don't think paying customers need to be the hall monitor.

10. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

+1

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I also have little patience for little kids. I won't curse at them, but if their parents aren't at an ears distance away I will just point and say go sit with your parents then ignore them and keep eating as if they aren't there.

I remember my mother yelled at some kid's parents because the parents were at one table and the kids were at their own "kid's table". They opened up the salt and pepper shakers and were spitting their soda into them. The parents looked horribly offended as if it is totally justified becaue they are little.

12. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

This is why I don't use salt and pepper shakers at restaurants.

13. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

He told me eating red bean is like watching baby Jesus burn alive.

Yes. Not so simple when you are talking about old friend who you are very close with. I'd rather continue eating where they'd like than stop seeing them.

14. CouttsClient

Well then they have you by the balls.

I wonder if they feel the same way about seeing you

I don't know what it's like to be friends with someone who can't deal with me telling them I'm not eating at some shitty restaurant

15. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

For me the upshot of all these anecdotes and hence recommendations depend greatly on the age of the "little kids" in question and the exact situation. I often find it distasteful how infuriated some adults become at the antics of very small children who clearly are not culpable and whose parents are clearly doing their best to maintain order in an uncomfortable situation. On the other hand, there is no question that there are parents who believe their unruly 7-year-olds can do no wrong, even if they're shooting spit-balls into your soup.

I would say use your discretion, but generally assume children don't know any better, and the parents are far more upset at whatever it is they're doing than you are.