• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been ou

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Explain this whole situation to me, I absolutely don't understand what it means... Your local shopping center has a doorman? Does he have a guestlist?

You show them your receipt and he matches it to the things in your cart to make sure you aren't stealing.

Pio- you will enjoy dinners more if you don't worry about what they might be doing in the kitchen.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude, totally. It's not your fault the food came out before you were even finished with your first course. It's either the kitchen's fault, the server's fault, or a miscommunication between the two. But either way, if a cook puts something in the pass, and the server says "Oh **** they aren't even finished with their appetizers yet" nobody is going to be surprised if you want them remade.

99% of the time it's the kitchen's fault. just sayin'.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

This happens even in Canada at certain places, i.e. CostCo. People stand by the door and stop you to check off what's in your cart against your reciept.

WTF

So CostCo. is Canadian and Home Depot is American and they're similar places (not playing idiot but I'M not very familiar with either)...Would you say it is common or just a policy of that store/these stores?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You show them your receipt and he matches it to the things in your cart to make sure you aren't stealing.

Pio- you will enjoy dinners more if you don't worry about what they might be doing in the kitchen.

I have a fair idea of what happens but it doesn't mean I need to prompt further atrocities. I also have strong faith in the robust nature of the human enteric system.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

WTF

So CostCo. is Canadian and Home Depot is American and they're similar places (not playing idiot but I'M not very familiar with either)...Would you say it is common or just a policy of that store/these stores?

CostCo is based in the US but has spread to Canada. CostCo is a warehouse store for food/clothing, etc. Home Depot is a big hardware DIY warehouse.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

WTF

No, in Costco it is part of the contract when you become a member. At Home Depot it is a policy. It is also illegal to demand it without it being an agreed to portion of a contract, which is the case for any public store. Unless you have legitimate reason to believe someone is stealing you cannot demand that they show you proof that they own their property. Legally it amounts to demanding someone on the street show you the contents of their suitcase or purse and prove that they own their property.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

CostCo is based in the US but has spread to Canada. CostCo is a warehouse store for food/clothing, etc. Home Depot is a big hardware DIY warehouse.

Ok, I've been to both like 1-2 times but I don't think I've done so recently, there's a chain in Qc called Rona that is like Home depot, it's actually very practical to be able to buy everything at the same place but they can't build the big ones in cities...

Anyway this doorman **** is unacceptable. During the festivals here you've got kids in security outfits asking to see whats in your bag when you walk in the streets where festivals are held, I always pass them by and tell them to **** off cause theyre not cops. EVERRYONE else I've seen complies, truly horrible.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

Anyway this doorman **** is unacceptable. During the festivals here you've got kids in security outfits asking to see whats in your bag when you walk in the streets where festivals are held, I always pass them by and tell them to **** off cause theyre not cops. EVERRYONE else I've seen complies, truly horrible.

Last time it happened at Home Depot I told the guy I'd show him the content of my bag if he showed me the content of his wallet. He was really confused.

Last edited:

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, I've been to both like 1-2 times but I don't think I've done so recently, there's a chain in Qc called Rona that is like Home depot, it's actually very practical to be able to buy everything at the same place but they can't build the big ones in cities...

[...]

Somehow you don't strike me as the home-improvement kinda guy ;)
I've never had anything checked at Home Depot or Rona (btw, there's a plaza in Toronto that has Rona, Home Depot and Canadian Tire in one place, talking about one-stop shopping), but it's standard procedure at Costco.
It's not like they care anyway, it takes them about .5 seconds to 'thoroughly' check the cart and mark the receipt.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
great thread

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, in Costco it is part of the contract when you become a member. At Home Depot it is a policy. It is also illegal to demand it without it being an agreed to portion of a contract, which is the case for any public store. Unless you have legitimate reason to believe someone is stealing you cannot demand that they show you proof that they own their property. Legally it amounts to demanding someone on the street show you the contents of their suitcase or purse and prove that they own their property.
How does that argument go over with the door guy?
Last time it happened at Home Depot I told the guy I'd show him the content of my bag if he showed me the content of his wallet. He was really confused.
I see. Do they try to stop you?

lefty

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had it happen at Home Depot, but the security guys at Best Buy do that quite frequently. I just shake my head and tell them "no" while walking by and that's the end of it. They rely on the subservience of the general populace to authority figures to allow them to pull that crap.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Sometimes they shrug, sometimes they get really confused and I get annoyed and leave them there confused, one time the guy kept arguing and started to come at me threateningly, before realizing himself and just cursed at me. That time I contacted their customer service and they sent me a very apologetic letter and had the branch manager contact me.

I've never had it happen at Home Depot, but the security guys at Best Buy do that quite frequently. I just shake my head and tell them "no" while walking by and that's the end of it. They rely on the subservience of the general populace to authority figures to allow them to pull that crap.

This is the average experience. That last guy though said "How do I know you aren't stealing?" to which I responded asking if he was accusing me of stealing. When he said no I told him then it was none of his business, and he got pissed off.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This is where I feel sorry for all you guys. I just don my "authoritative and influential priviledged white male" demeanor and no one would dare approach me for such a fashion.

Last edited:

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sometimes they shrug, sometimes they get really confused and I get annoyed and leave them there confused, one time the guy kept arguing and started to come at me threateningly, before realizing himself and just cursed at me. That time I contacted their customer service and they sent me a very apologetic letter and had the branch manager contact me.

This is the average experience. That last guy though said "How do I know you aren't stealing?" to which I responded asking if he was accusing me of stealing. When he said no I told him then it was none of his business, and he got pissed off.

If they attempt to engage me in any way after I walk by, I just look at them like they're stupid and continue walking. I've never had a problem with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads