In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been ou

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by itsstillmatt, Aug 1, 2011.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

You show them your receipt and he matches it to the things in your cart to make sure you aren't stealing.

Pio- you will enjoy dinners more if you don't worry about what they might be doing in the kitchen.

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

99% of the time it's the kitchen's fault. just sayin'.

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

WTF

So CostCo. is Canadian and Home Depot is American and they're similar places (not playing idiot but I'M not very familiar with either)...Would you say it is common or just a policy of that store/these stores?

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I have a fair idea of what happens but it doesn't mean I need to prompt further atrocities. I also have strong faith in the robust nature of the human enteric system.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

5. Piobaire

CostCo is based in the US but has spread to Canada. CostCo is a warehouse store for food/clothing, etc. Home Depot is a big hardware DIY warehouse.

6. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

No, in Costco it is part of the contract when you become a member. At Home Depot it is a policy. It is also illegal to demand it without it being an agreed to portion of a contract, which is the case for any public store. Unless you have legitimate reason to believe someone is stealing you cannot demand that they show you proof that they own their property. Legally it amounts to demanding someone on the street show you the contents of their suitcase or purse and prove that they own their property.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Ok, I've been to both like 1-2 times but I don't think I've done so recently, there's a chain in Qc called Rona that is like Home depot, it's actually very practical to be able to buy everything at the same place but they can't build the big ones in cities...

Anyway this doorman shit is unacceptable. During the festivals here you've got kids in security outfits asking to see whats in your bag when you walk in the streets where festivals are held, I always pass them by and tell them to fuck off cause theyre not cops. EVERRYONE else I've seen complies, truly horrible.

8. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Last time it happened at Home Depot I told the guy I'd show him the content of my bag if he showed me the content of his wallet. He was really confused.

9. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Somehow you don't strike me as the home-improvement kinda guy ;)
    I've never had anything checked at Home Depot or Rona (btw, there's a plaza in Toronto that has Rona, Home Depot and Canadian Tire in one place, talking about one-stop shopping), but it's standard procedure at Costco.
    It's not like they care anyway, it takes them about .5 seconds to 'thoroughly' check the cart and mark the receipt.

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

great thread

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

How does that argument go over with the door guy?
    I see. Do they try to stop you?

lefty

12. Nil

Nil Senior member

I've never had it happen at Home Depot, but the security guys at Best Buy do that quite frequently. I just shake my head and tell them "no" while walking by and that's the end of it. They rely on the subservience of the general populace to authority figures to allow them to pull that crap.

13. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Sometimes they shrug, sometimes they get really confused and I get annoyed and leave them there confused, one time the guy kept arguing and started to come at me threateningly, before realizing himself and just cursed at me. That time I contacted their customer service and they sent me a very apologetic letter and had the branch manager contact me.

This is the average experience. That last guy though said "How do I know you aren't stealing?" to which I responded asking if he was accusing me of stealing. When he said no I told him then it was none of his business, and he got pissed off.

14. Piobaire

This is where I feel sorry for all you guys. I just don my "authoritative and influential priviledged white male" demeanor and no one would dare approach me for such a fashion.

15. Nil

Nil Senior member

If they attempt to engage me in any way after I walk by, I just look at them like they're stupid and continue walking. I've never had a problem with it.