In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been ou

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by itsstillmatt, Aug 1, 2011.

1. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

:laugh: I hope you told him that you wished for an apple to fall on his head, rendering him unconscious.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

First, :crackup: at memberships being given to a five year old.

Second: first quote outsiders are waiting for people to leave. Second quote more people are dying off than being born to replace hereditary members, such that children barely out of diapers are receiving memberships. Can I be the first to say you are full of shit?

3. Piobaire

This could be just a story someone told me but I heard European societies are actually all different too.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

That's sorta sounds like the subprime crisis to me....

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

Please tell me one society in the world in which being attentive, helpful, polite and honouring the eldery is considered rude or barbarian.
    So why are you bitching about Louis XIV? I mean, besides the golf thing. Am I missing something or is my world view fucked up, too? Or is this some country beef thing?

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Would you walk around Hamburg saluting everyone you pass by? If you answer yes then you're a weirdo and invading your fellow citizens space and that's bad manners. In a countryside road where you meet a person every 5 hrs, ok.

The golf thing just made it blatantly obvious Jerry Lewis the XIV has some online gentleman pretensions and he should chill, especially since he's 23 and golfing with 5 y/o kids.

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

I agree. In a small village, maybe a few hundred inhabitants tops it's about keeping your social network intact. In a big city it's kinda sensless and might be, as you pointed out, offending. One lives in big cities not only but also for anonymity. But sometimes it's too much anonymity. I feel like some of these people behave like robots, not giving a shit about anything, doing what they want to do without being aware of their surrounding. "If I don't step aside, the other will, if not, fuck him" If you had a tough day, okay, but don't wreak it on others by passive anger (or however one should call that). But I thing I've already pointed that out.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I think I said "Yes, Chef Trotter, I'll try to work on that sir."
    I was/am a bitch.

9. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

hahaha, well at least you learned.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

on count one, I cannot comment since I do not own a car and haven't since college.

on count two, I agree. Thanks to my other half, we've been comped some pretty great meals and we always tip a shit load. Usually far more than 20% on what would have been the bill.

11. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

12. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

I don't know about the golf thing, but I will back up my boys in Germany on their complaints regarding peoples' everyday manners, especially vis-a-vis strangers. One of the few things that nearly all Germans I know who have visited the US have remarked to me upon is how nice, friendly and polite strangers are toward one another in daily life - at the grocery store, on the sidewalk, etc. This is not an illusion. And it makes me wonder why if everybody finds it so great they don't just act nicer. But they do not. Walking around a typical German city you're greeted with blank stares past you or scowls. In a typical German village people will actually stare AT you, mouths agape, the pinnacle of provincial vulgarism. In my experience, the only place you can find people who smile and greet each other, and even (OMG) begin conversations with one another is in the mountains, particularly the alps.

As for golf, it is in Germany an even more ridiculous game for young people to play than in the US. I believe that this predicament exists, as I am aware of several similar clubs. The reason these old farts are annoyed by your presence is that they've come to the golf club specifically to avoid people like you. You're lucky you've got white skin, I'll add.

In any event my recommendation for your golf thing would be to just step up your game (clothing wise) and wear whatever everyone else is wearing.

13. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

14. Piobaire

B1os, you missed the point. Americans are often accused of thinking in terms that are overly broad, not discerning differences amongst other countries. To create a scenario of the US culture vs. the "culture of Europe" is to commit that same error. The culture of southern Italy is far different from the culture of Denmark or Finland. This is what I was trying to point out to you.

As to His Majesty I was merely pointing out his two pieces of data about this alleged golf club do no ad up. As the second was an attempt to rebut something I said earlier its incongruence leads me to believe he is making things up as he goes and cannot keep his imaginary creation consistent.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I can't think of anybody who could be at a lower status at a golf club than a person who refuses to follow the traditions of a sport that is so tradition based, no matter who his grand pappy was. It is almost the definition of barbarian to act as he claims to.