• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In this thread, we discuss, praise, critique, and ridicule the 2024 Summer Olympics Opening Ceremony uniforms

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you have a preview : Japan : ASICS, but soccer team Adidas X Yamamoto Yohji; Spain: Uniqlo, Korea:TNF, France: Berluti & Le coq Sportif, England : Ben Sherman, Canada : Lululemon, Germany : Adidas, etc.

I still can't believe that the German football team switched from Adidas to Nike of all companies. That's just a huge slap in the face to German football tradition.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An homage to Lacoste is complicated I suppose as his name is synonymous to a big brand now and not the one that was chosen ?
And I don’t see why we should pay an homage to Springsteen, he isn’t that popular here if you compare him to the Stones for example ?
I just picked Lacoste as the first stylish French athlete who came to mind. That there is a brand bearing his name was a bonus. I don't really know the history otherwise, but would be interested in learning.

I just chose Springsteen because he famously loved jean jackets with with the sleeves cut off. The French uniforms just don't make sense to me. Maybe they should have chosen a brand with sport experience. Moncler was originally French, and their Monclear Genius collaborations have produced incredible pieces, most recently with Rick Owens, often doing amazing but also very wearable takes on signature pieces. That might have been a nice choice.

tweedlover

Reaction score
Yes and Ralph Lauren is boring, BTW seen a recent picture of him wearing tuxedo jacket and faded denim, didn’t look right, especially at his age.
Seen that look on him-not good. Then again, I've seen him in other looks that didn't appeal to me either. At least his logo on the jackets isn't abysmally large.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I just picked Lacoste as the first stylish French athlete who came to mind. That there is a brand bearing his name was a bonus. I don't really know the history otherwise, but would be interested in learning.

I just chose Springsteen because he famously loved jean jackets with with the sleeves cut off. The French uniforms just don't make sense to me. Maybe they should have chosen a brand with sport experience. Moncler was originally French, and their Monclear Genius collaborations have produced incredible pieces, most recently with Rick Owens, often doing amazing but also very wearable takes on signature pieces. That might have been a nice choice.
If I understand well the Berluti uniforms are just for the opening ceremony, otherwise they seem to have Le Coq Sportif uniforms, a sportswear brand.
Already said I don’t like the Berluti uniforms, but I don’t see where the problem is with the sleeveless shirts and jackets for women. Seems a women’s wear classic, even if I agree that the jacket doesn’t look good?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I understand well the Berluti uniforms are just for the opening ceremony, otherwise they seem to have Le Coq Sportif uniforms, a sportswear brand.
Already said I don’t like the Berluti uniforms, but I don’t see where the problem is with the sleeveless shirts and jackets for women. Seems a women’s wear classic, even if I agree that the jacket doesn’t look good?
There are definitely both good sleeveless jackets and shirts, but these just look like they were truncated, to me in any case.

Le Coq Sportif's uniforms for the Olympic village look a lot better.

I think that The North Face did a good job for the Korean team - wearable and quite distinctive at the same time

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
There are definitely both good sleeveless jackets and shirts, but these just look like they were truncated, to me in any case.

Le Coq Sportif's uniforms for the Olympic village look a lot better.

I think that The North Face did a good job for the Korean team - wearable and quite distinctive at the same time
Agree for Le Coq Sportif. At least the French selected local brands, not the case of Korea even if TNF uniforms look good.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree for Le Coq Sportif. At least the French selected local brands, not the case of Korea even if TNF uniforms look good.
The North Face is a weird brand. Purple Label is a Japanese company that has license to design and produce North Face Purple Label for the Japanese market, (though I saw them showing at MAN Paris, so apparently, boutiques outside of Japan could make orders as well?), and the White Label is only for the South Korean market, though I don't know that the arrangement is the same as that of the Purple Label range.

For that matter, Berluti is an Italian company owned by a French conglomerate. I guess that it's a global world (redundant, I know.)

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
For that matter, Berluti is an Italian company owned by a French conglomerate. I guess that it's a global world (redundant, I know.)
Berluti founder was Italian but he started his business in Paris, where he established in the 1900s, so you can consider it as a Parisian brand. From the 1970s to the 2010s (I think) the business was runned by Olga Berluti, it was still a small shoemaker then, but who had a prestigious clientele (Dandies, Politics, Producers, Actors, Singers etc).
As I said I never liked their shoes, but two good friends loved them and they were of high quality, I think most were MtM and they started to make RtW stuff. At the time they only had one shop in Paris, now they have 3 and others in France and in the world I think as the company was bought by LVMH indeed.
They bought the famous Arnys shop at rue de Sèvres (a personal favorite) and kept for a few years a little Arnys corner in the boutique, but I think it disappeared.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Berluti founder was Italian but he started his business in Paris, where he established in the 1900s, so you can consider it as a Parisian brand. From the 1970s to the 2010s (I think) the business was runned by Olga Berluti, it was still a small shoemaker then, but who had a prestigious clientele (Dandies, Politics, Producers, Actors, Singers etc).
As I said I never liked their shoes, but two good friends loved them and they were of high quality, I think most were MtM and they started to make RtW stuff. At the time they only had one shop in Paris, now they have 3 and others in France and in the world I think as the company was bought by LVMH indeed.
They bought the famous Arnys shop at rue de Sèvres (a personal favorite) and kept for a few years a little Arnys corner in the boutique, but I think it disappeared.
I still don’t understand the choice of designer. Even if the contract was with LVMH, it seems like LV it Dior would have been more natural choices.

Corson

Reaction score
Oh, the French uniforms are funny, but as you mentioned "ridicule": our Romanian Olympic Committee is the pure example of that notion. They cheaped on paying a fashion designer for putting together at least a mediocre ceremony uniform, instead they relied on a sponsor. The sponsor, a national chain of hypermarkets specialized in do-it-yourself, building, decoration and gardening, did what they knew best. The press sneak photos showed something which is not even streetwear, but more construction or road workers equipment - baggy, cheap, unflattering and laughable. They said this was just an intermediate version, but I doubt they'll be able to come up with something better in 23 days. We will be the laughing stock of the world.

Attachments

• Capture 1.JPG
    Capture 1.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 71

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, the French uniforms are funny, but as you mentioned "ridicule": our Romanian Olympic Committee is the pure example of that notion. They cheaped on paying a fashion designer for putting together at least a mediocre ceremony uniform, instead they relied on a sponsor. The sponsor, a national chain of hypermarkets specialized in do-it-yourself, building, decoration and gardening, did what they knew best. The press sneak photos showed something which is not even streetwear, but more construction or road workers equipment - baggy, cheap, unflattering and laughable. They said this was just an intermediate version, but I doubt they'll be able to come up with something better in 23 days. We will be the laughing stock of the world.
I can't imagine Loredana Toma or Mihaela Campina wearing a yellow rain jacket.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreeSugarPro1