1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

In this thread: The suits of James Bond and whether he should always be well tailored.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by MickeyPunch, Mar 24, 2016.

1. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

Read somewhere that Daniel Craig wore his suits in two different sizes depending on whether it was an action scene or not.

2. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

I can see that making sense. To my mind, a tailored suit fits well at the price of restricted mobility. Craig would certainly need to size up for the action.

3. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

They would have a dozen or so suits tailored for each specific type of scene, ie. fighting, motorcycle riding, etc...

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

A good tailored suit doesn't limit mobility. Bonds Tom ford suits are terrible. Very fashion forward. And a size or two too tight

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Whether one thinks they are terrible or not, I would argue that they are in keeping with the character, as reimagined for today's audience and played by Daniel Craig. James Bond is not by breeding or inclination a very "classic guy". If I remember his backstory, he is essentially a orphan kid who is trained to become some sort of special ops guy, and he is routinely insubordinate. A tight Tom Ford suit, a bit flashy (he also has rather flashy tastes in cars and women) seems right for the character.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  6. LA Guy

7. venividivicibj

of course, I was saying from a traditional standpoint, they do not fit. From a character standpoint the new (craig) bond does tend to exhibit those traits. Yeah, orphan, both parent killed - laters finds out they were also agents (or at least his father was, i forget), and he joins up as well.

8. LA Guy

Sure, I would agree with you. I would also say that the character should be dressed as the character, not as an exemplar of classical dressing. I may be biased since I find the Daniel Craig Bond a lot more compelling than any other Bond character. Every other Bond has bored me.

9. Rais

Rais Senior member

Dalton was the best Bond with the best suit fit.

[​IMG]

10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

You can have a flashier suit that actually fits well though. The Tom Ford stuff often just didn't fit very well on Daniel Craig -- too much waist suppression, lapels pulling away from the chest, etc. It often looked like a bad alterations job, rather than the kind of stuff Tom Ford is actually famous for.

11. venividivicibj

No Connery?

12. LA Guy

I like old Connery. That is a man. Young Connery is a boy. No, I like the grit of Daniel Craig a lot more.

13. LA Guy

That is the way a lot of flashy guys like their suits to fit, though. From a classicist POV, it makes no sense, but it could be a deliberate choice. If you go to sites like SuitSupply's, for example, according to traditional standards, all of those suits are too small. I suppose that you could say that it was a botched tailoring job, over many suits, but given the resources put into play to make a James Bond movie, it seems difficult to believe that wardrobe botched all of the suits, and then said "You know what? Screw it. It looks fine."

I guess that if you see James Bond as a style icon above anything, then yes, there is a complaint to be made. But if you see James Bond as a more fleshed out character, a self-made man of sorts, with a chip on his shoulder and a penchant for mayhem and flash. then the suits make a lor more sense.

14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Ehh .. I feel like I'm reasonably open minded about how a suit can fit and how designers can reinterpret things. Some things are just bad tailoring.

If you take that extreme of a relativist view (ie "that's just how some guys want their suits to fit"), then it's impossible to judge anything. You could say that for books, movies, music, art, etc -- yes, these things are all subjective, but you can also reasonably say some things are good and some things are bad.