• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In the room while giving birth

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here been in the room while their wife or girlfriend has given birth? If so, what do you say to them to help them through the process. I know they say stay encouraging, but am I just supposed to say "Good Job" and "I'm proud of you"??

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Has anyone here been in the room while their wife or girlfriend has given birth? If so, what do you say to them to help them through the process. I know they say stay encouraging, but am I just supposed to say "Good Job" and "I'm proud of you"??

I have no kids, and the closest I've come to nailing a preggo chick was one two days after she aborted, but I assume the right words and behaviour will come automatically. Anyway, will she care? Hold her hand and watch the vag do amazing magic tricks.

Anuj Sharma

Reaction score
Yoga is a way of life, an art of righteous living or an integrated system for the benefit of the body, mind and inner spirit. This art originated, was perfected and practiced in India thousands of years ago. The references to yoga are available in 'Upanishads' and 'Puranas' composed by Indian Aryans in the later Vedic and post- Vedic period. The main credit for systematizing yoga goes to Patanjali who wrote 'Yoga Sutra', two thousand Years ago. He described the principles of the full eight fold yogic discipline. He composed the treatise in brief code words known as 'Sutras'. 'Yoga Sutra' is the most important basic text on Yoga. yoga retreat It is through this basic treatise that the essential message of yoga spread throughout the world.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I have a story about this, but I dunno if I should post it.

choowy

Reaction score
I read this in an article today: Nor would many men today be as sympathetic to their wives during childbirth as the Huichol Indian fathers of Mexico who tied strings to their testicles so the mothers could pull on them during labour to share the pain. source: http://www.smh.com.au/world/science/...1.html?page=-1

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not sure what you should say, basically you are there to comfort your wife and to help take care of her and the baby. you are the one who is lucid, so any parts of a birth plan that require some thought and effort should fall to you. you run the errands that come up - need more drugs, need a towel, need to clean up something, etc.

anyway, good luck.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I have a story about this, but I dunno if I should post it.

Yes?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Liam

Reaction score
No, never have been in that situation. But, I think you would just be supportive to her, help her concentrate on her breathing and be there to share in the experience. I'd think saying you are doing great and I love you would be welcomed. Good luck to you and your gf/ wife when the time comes.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been in the room while other people's wives and girlfriends have give birth. Just about some of the most unenjoyable times in my life. Anyway, your role is just to be there for her. There's not a whole lot you do other than show your support and love(?) with your presence. Maybe encourage her to push.

bobyoung7

Reaction score
I was in awe and speechless for the births of both of my sons.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am not sure what you should say, basically you are there to comfort your wife and to help take care of her and the baby. you are the one who is lucid, so any parts of a birth plan that require some thought and effort should fall to you. you run the errands that come up - need more drugs, need a towel, need to clean up something, etc.

anyway, good luck.

+1. I've been there twice now, and basically it involves a lot of handholding, a lot of telling your wife that you love her, and a lot of reassurance.

Holding her up, helping your wife to walk around, and giving back rubs and massages while she's suffering through the final stages of labour will probably be very much appreciated, too.

Lady Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It probably wouldn't hurt to mention how amazed you are and how much respect you have for her, given what she will be going through.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been there for 2 c-sections. The first time it happened very suddenly so I spent all of the time holding my wife's hand and reassuring her that everything was ok. The anesthesiologist had to nudge me to let me know when the baby was out. The second time was scheduled so there was a lot less drama. I was still busy reassuring my wife that everything was ok but I was a little more aware of the other things that were going on in the room.

I don't have any tips on how to help your wife get through labor. My wife never went through it for either child.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads