• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In the market for used S550

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I'm sorry, but there is no way you are finding 09/10 S550s for $40K.

It might be high 50s I don't remember. I just remember thinking that it was well inside what I'd be willing to pay. I bought my fiancee a new 5 series a year ago and it cost more than what an S class would cost me used.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
It might be high 50s I don't remember. I just remember thinking that it was well inside what I'd be willing to pay. I bought my fiancee a new 5 series a year ago and it cost more than what an S class would cost me used.
I've only noticed '07s and '08s in the 40s and 50s. The '09s and '10s are 70s on up.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I drive a 10 year old S class and it's probably worth less than $10K. Still it drives like new and gives me no problems, despite the fact that I put a lot of miles on it. I'm kinda partial to buying older luxury cars from private parties then driving them until they start becoming uneconomical. At about 8 years old, $100K cars start selling for around $20K. CPO seems like a rip off to me.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you want an S class? Just wondering...in Asia its mostly a car you are driven in as opposed to you driving, something like a passenger car.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In America we like to drive giant sedans, because we're a nation of pimps.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
71_main_l.jpg

CTfunk

Reaction score
W140 S600...while gangster, those V12's are quite demanding from what I've heard. Sorry to hear what happened.

I've been seeing mid 40's (on average) for 07 models, and 08's are significantly higher. Warranty is very important because maintenance just gets out of hand sometimes. So, when out of its warranty, I am not sure if these cars are a good buy at all.

Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Why do you want an S class? Just wondering...in Asia its mostly a car you are driven in as opposed to you driving, something like a passenger car.

Large number of buyers for these full size sedans drive it themselves in NA, at least from what I have seen, this includes 7 series, A8's, LS, and the likes.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Strange. I mean those cars aren't cheap. BMW 7 series is around 80k. 80k can buy you a pretty nice sports car.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
71_main_l.jpg

ahhh yes,i actually had one of these when we used to live in germany in the eighties,i was 18 (much cheaper there) good times

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to think that I was 6'4 but I found out a while ago that I'm actually 6'5. I like big cars that are quiet and comfortable.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Strange. I mean those cars aren't cheap. BMW 7 series is around 80k. 80k can buy you a pretty nice sports car.

uhh S class are incredibly ubiquitous in north america. You see housewives driving them... in certain areas of the country they're as common as a honda civic.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTfunk
W140 S600...while gangster, those V12's are quite demanding from what I've heard. Sorry to hear what happened.

I've been seeing mid 40's (on average) for 07 models, and 08's are significantly higher. Warranty is very important because maintenance just gets out of hand sometimes. So, when out of its warranty, I am not sure if these cars are a good buy at all.

Large number of buyers for these full size sedans drive it themselves in NA, at least from what I have seen, this includes 7 series, A8's, LS, and the likes.

Yeah I'm getting a write off because the undercarriage was severely bent. Repair would probably cost a ton.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find myself liking sports cars less and full size sedans more as I get older. Smooth, quiet, just more comfortable...
Originally Posted by SField
What do you guys think? Are these still good cars? Are there better options? I'm pretty ignorant about cars.
07/08, great cars. MB are expensive to run but you expect that. My friend replaced the radiator and whatnot on his last month and said it came out to $1200. I replaced the radiator in my car for, I think, 1/4 of that before.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dashaansafin is right in his own way; everywhere outside of NA the exec-class sedans are just viewed as big, black EWB chauffered cars, so I guess if you've been anywhere else long enough, the image starts to set in. The cars are cheap, in relation to owning them in other parts of the world. $5-10/hr parking, gas that costs 2-3-4X more, the inevitable small fender benders that you sometimes settle in cash, an S/7/A8/LS460 is a nice car, but a 'work' car in my eyes as well. Out here in Asia, it's so much about the packaging and nothing about what the car really does, because they'll never need it, they sell tons of 728i/730i models, S350's, front-wheel drive A8L's with the 3.7L and sometimes the 3.2L, they can start to look unglamorous after awhile. You do see the higher-performance models like the S8, S63/65, I've seen the M kit on the new 760i already as well as a new Alpina B7 biturbo, but those are typically owned by yakuza types.
redface.gif
on topic though, I imagine prices for the S class are dropping like flies or will be any day now, it's past halfway in it's life cycle now that they've had the facelift model out for a bit and model cycles are shortening; I'd say the current model only has a year or two left before they show the new generation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads