• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

In the market for used S550

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
So I had this late 90s S600 that belonged to my dad in storage back east... I liked it, looked really gangster. Had no use for it until recently so I had it moved here. The truck carrying it got hit by a minivan (in fucking Indiana, poor thing) and the thing apparently got totaled.

I am now being forced, by my significant other, to live in LA part time. We're getting a small little place with a one car garage. I want another S class, they are nice and roomy. I went to see a friend in the north shore whose family owns a dealership... saw lots of the 550s with 30 or something k on them for like 40,000 or something. I don't really remember, I just remember thinking I would buy it.

What do you guys think? Are these still good cars? Are there better options? I'm pretty ignorant about cars.
 

impolyt_one

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
14,449
Reaction score
4,792
I think as long as you get some sort of warranty, you'd be fine for the warranty period, at least... I drove one of those old W140 S600's before too, they were awesome.
 

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
1,136
Reaction score
4
Great cars, but warranty is a must...buy only from an authorized Benz dealer, certified preowned=premium price
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by uhurit
Great cars, but warranty is a must...buy only from an authorized Benz dealer, certified preowned=premium price

Yea it would be certified pre-owned.

I don't know why more people don't just buy that way. For 20-30 miles you knock off a massive amount on the price.
 

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
349
For some reason people like the new leather smell and the ability to choose the tiniest details. Who would've thought?
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by aleksandr
For some reason people like the new leather smell and the ability to choose the tiniest details. Who would've thought?
Funny because I've looked at like 10 of them in person and online... they're all fully loaded and besides the color (all of them were either silver and black), there was absolutely nothing different about any of them.
 

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
14,657
Reaction score
2,298
Originally Posted by SField
Yea it would be certified pre-owned.

I don't know why more people don't just buy that way. For 20-30 miles you knock off a massive amount on the price.


I don't know what it's like for S-class Mercs, as I most recently have looked at BMWs, but I have usually found CPO to be a big rip-off. They get one guy to pay for 40% of the car on the lease, then bring it in, detail it, and sell it for 80% of the new car price to some sucker who really wants a Bimmer but can't actually afford a new one. Of course they get financing and service on top of that.

For the money you're talking though, if you can really get an S-class Benzo for $40K, apparently the residuals and the model are very different. I'm dubious, however - Just browsing around locally here (Baltimore) all the CPO S-Classes are more like $60-70K.

Also, beware the CPO warranty, as it is not a full bumper-to-bumper warranty like they're offering with new cars these days.
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
425
Originally Posted by SField
So I had this late 90s S600 that belonged to my dad in storage back east... I liked it, looked really gangster. Had no use for it until recently so I had it moved here. The truck carrying it got hit by a minivan (in fucking Indiana, poor thing) and the thing apparently got totaled.

I am now being forced, by my significant other, to live in LA part time. We're getting a small little place with a one car garage. I want another S class, they are nice and roomy. I went to see a friend in the north shore whose family owns a dealership... saw lots of the 550s with 30 or something k on them for like 40,000 or something. I don't really remember, I just remember thinking I would buy it.

What do you guys think? Are these still good cars? Are there better options? I'm pretty ignorant about cars.

I think you'll be pleased, the S/CL class is a good car. The cars are much better built compared to the previous generation. However, as others have stated, buy from a MB dealer, and a car with factory warranty remaining on it or one that is CPO if original warranty has expired.
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by Douglas
I don't know what it's like for S-class Mercs, as I most recently have looked at BMWs, but I have usually found CPO to be a big rip-off. They get one guy to pay for 40% of the car on the lease, then bring it in, detail it, and sell it for 80% of the new car price to some sucker who really wants a Bimmer but can't actually afford a new one. Of course they get financing and service on top of that.

For the money you're talking though, if you can really get an S-class Benzo for $40K, apparently the residuals and the model are very different. I'm dubious, however - Just browsing around locally here (Baltimore) all the CPO S-Classes are more like $60-70K.

Also, beware the CPO warranty, as it is not a full bumper-to-bumper warranty like they're offering with new cars these days.


My big problem in buying a car is I just feel bad buying a new one. I've had a very good few years recently and it wouldn't be a problem but I feel like no matter how much money I have I'll always sort of feel stupid for buying a new car, driving it off the lot, and losing a ton of money. I am a very big spender but not on anything that significantly loses its value like that. I had the same problem with purchasing a diamond, which is why I bought a sapphire instead.

I think these models have like 40k on them and the dealer is like the biggest most respected dealer in the Chicago North Shore.

I do aspire to own a Maserati, but only once my Chicago apartment is paid (a couple years), and our LA property which may be a while. I prefer to pay cash for everything so a fully new car purchase will wait until my two liabilities are no more.
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by JayJay
I think you'll be pleased, the S/CL class is a good car. The cars are much better built compared to the previous generation. However, as others have stated, buy from a MB dealer, and a car with factory warranty remaining on it or one that is CPO if original warranty has expired.

How long do these CPO warranties last?
 

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
10,100
Reaction score
400
For the vehicle I drive on a daily basis I almost always bought new ... until I bought a couple of vintage cars. Once I began buying vintage ... the used stigma disappeared. Never again will I buy new for the vehicle I drive daily ... I will buy gently used ... and for significatnly less than new. In fact, the last several have been used recent models.
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
425
Originally Posted by SField
How long do these CPO warranties last?
The CPO begins after the original warranty expires and last for 12 months or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. I think you may be able to extend the warranty for additional years.
 

suited

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2008
Messages
7,618
Reaction score
3,468
Originally Posted by SField
How long do these CPO warranties last?
The CPO on my Lexus was fantastic. I bought it in 2008 (the car is an 06) and the warranty is good till 100k miles (has 60k now), and it expires and the end of 2011 (I believe). They offered to knock 1k off the price to drop the warranty. I guess they think they can fool some people into dropping the warranty for a small price reduction. Just last month the driver mirror stopped rotating down when I put the car in reverse, would have cost me $460 without the warranty = me not even fixing it in the first place. The warranty has paid for itself easily. The warranty varies with each dealer, but it should last you almost as long as you'll own the car unless you drive a lot, or plan on keeping this car for a long time. Personally, I don't like to keep a car longer than 4-5 years.
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Yeah these are all 09/2010 models I think... very recent.
 

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
14,657
Reaction score
2,298
I'm sorry, but there is no way you are finding 09/10 S550s for $40K.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,689
Messages
9,455,878
Members
198,177
Latest member
rjkabk
Top