• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In the market for a new vehicle...

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
I am getting rid of my current vehicle here in a few days (2004 Chevrolet Blazer) and am researching some a new vehicle and wanted some thoughts.
The Blazer was great for what I wanted (camping, fishing, hunting, etc) but the gas mileage is killing me! I'm by no means a lead foot, but there are days I struggle to get better than 12 mpg in the city.

I plan to buy in August. I will be gone all summer for more military training, so no real rush, just researching.

I'm looking for an SUV or manly Crossover. I have budgeted anywhere up to around $8,000 (I'm still in college). Any thoughts or experiences that you liked/hated? I'm looking for better mileage and better looks.

Kind of looking at Ford Escapes, Trailblazers, etc...

pgd3

Reaction score
How about a wagon?

Not a subaru if you live somewhere w/o a lot of snow, a subaru if you do, or audi quattro wagon.

Great room for outdoors stuff in the back, plus better handling, and aerodynamics.

I'm not a huge fan of SUVish things. Used to be SUV's had real truck frames, and transfer cases, they're getting to be front wheel drive unibodies with poor mileage and no real towing capability. Which to me that puts me solidly into a wagon instead of an SUV thing.

Although, Xterra or FJ's always sort of intrigue me.

turboman808

Reaction score
I have found the multiple car method is the way to go. Keep your blazer because it sounds like you still enjoy it. Then get a cheap economy car for everything else.

I swear to you in the long run it's alot cheaper to do this. Getting another SUV thats newer isn't really going to make much of a dent in your problem. I mean you are talking about buying something for several thousand dollars to save a few bucks at the pump. It's like taking a baby step to solve a problem that requires a commitment.

I personally drive a chevy express van most days. For longer drives I take my honda accord to save fuel. I've put some of my other cars into long term storage. I just don't have time to enjoy them right now.

BTW I have been looking for an AMC Eagle SX4 for the longest time now. Great little car and just such a redneck throw back it might be considered cool now. They get 25mpg and you still get to go off roading and have fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads