• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In the market for a new jacket - taking recommendations

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I find myself in the market for new outerwear that can be my workwear as well as casualwear. To make things easier, I work in a pretty laid back creative agency in San Francisco (although my personal style does not quite mesh with the San Francisco/Brooklyn/creative stereotypes). My personal sense of style is (or rather I'm working on making it) more timeless, stylish, laid back and at the same time professional (no torn jeans, baggy clothes, flashy attire etc). Also, I look for something that not everyone wears but yet something that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. So, here are the jackets that are currently in my wardrobe:

1 Plain navy traveler blazer
1 brown plaid casual sports coat
1 grey/charcoal Tommy Hilfiger sports coat
1 Bomber leather jacket (matte black I think its a Calvin Klein)
1 Olive green bomber jacket
1 Woolrich 100% wool charcoal bomber jacket

Out of these, #1, #2, and #3 tend to become too "dressy" for the laid back work environment and I am getting tired rotating between #4, #5, #6. I started looking at navy jackets but was disappointed by the fit/quality of this Orvis Shearling Collar bomber and the Barbour Ashby jacket (I know). And now having returned these back, I am having trouble finding something that I like. To boil it down here are my considerations:

1. Brand: must be an high/good quality maker (I could care less for what is trendy)
2. Price: up to $400
3. Must complement my physique: I am 5'10", waist 33, 155lbs
4. Must be a versatile color and be a good fit for casual as well as work wear.
5. Must 'go' with my style. I wear mainly well fitted jeans, chinos with an un-tucked shirts (sleeves rolled up) and NICE shoes (chukkas, AEs, etc.). I take a navy Filson 256 messenger bag to work everyday.
6. Bonus: Hoodie, waterproof, extra warmth etc.

Help me choose a good jacket, gents (and ladies) of SF!

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How about this Aspesi belted field jacket with concealed detachable hood? It's made of technical windproof and waterproof nylon with breathable polyurethane lamination, timeless, functional, and very easy wearing. aspesi jacket ebay2.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your current jackets and the ones you were trying out all seem to be variations on the bomber jacket. For your next jacket, branch out to a different style. Go for something longer. For example, a peacoat or topcoat for something a little more formal, or a chore coat for something more casual. There are so many choices that IMO you should look at them yourself. Check out No Man Walks Alone (above your budget for the most part but great outerwear ideas), End Clothing, and Yoox for ideas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I tend to think that only bomber coats look good on me due to my slender physique and that I look too "wrapped-up" in anything longer than a few inches below the waistline, the barbour ashy was a good example of this

Reaction score

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I do like this. The silhouette is sleek and fitted. The color, though, is a bit on the flashy side, do you know if they make it in a more versatile color? Also what are some other brands, styles that I can look at?

It's just white, not shiny or reflective. Everyone's wardrobe has room for a white jacket looking young and sportive especially in warmer weather. Aspesi is renowned for its classic styled outerwear updated with modern silhouette and extensively researched fabrics. It surely produces them in an array of colors but you won't find the prices as wallet friendly as what I offer.

Besides blazers you still have a lot of versatile options suitable for both work and casual occasions. You can check out my Buy&Sell listings for some other Italian outerwear labels. Classic styled: Hevò, Paltò, Performance wear: Esemplare, President's, Nemen. Workwear: Cini, Barena.

jaxenro

Reaction score
I second the pea coat it has a San Francisco workingmans waterfront vibe going for it is stylish yet not dressy like a blazer and goes well with jeans. I don’t have one but my personal style is more country club snob than working man but I have seen ones I liked

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I second the pea coat it has a San Francisco workingmans waterfront vibe going for it is stylish yet not dressy like a blazer and goes well with jeans. I don’t have one but my personal style is more country club snob than working man but I have seen ones I liked

When I googled "country club snob" these pictures surfaced...are these the personal style you referred to?
upload_2018-4-11_19-14-10.png

upload_2018-4-11_19-13-48.png

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I tend to think that only bomber coats look good on me due to my slender physique and that I look too "wrapped-up" in anything longer than a few inches below the waistline, the barbour ashy was a good example of this
I have to disagree with you on this. I am your height and 10 lb lighter; longer coats can work if they are cut trimmer in the body.

MarkWinter

Reaction score
What do you think about the ones below?
The first is a pique cotton from Isaia, short but not overly so, would look great with chinos and ocbd.
The second one is cotton/linen from Kiton Punto Rosso, amazing safari jacket with just the right styling details. Casual cool over t-shirt and jeans, sophisticated casual with a white shirt and grey fresco trousers. Click on the pictures for the links.
ISAIA_Napoli_PROTO_19_Blue_Cotton_Unlined_Field_Jacket_Coat_US_40_M_NEW_EU_501_1024x1024.jpg
K._Punto_Rosso_by_KITON_Napoli_Brown_Safari_Jacket_Coat_EU_50_NEW_US_38_40_1_1024x1024.jpg

Reaction score
What do you think about the ones below?
The first is a pique cotton from Isaia, short but not overly so, would look great with chinos and ocbd.
The second one is cotton/linen from Kiton Punto Rosso, amazing safari jacket with just the right styling details. Casual cool over t-shirt and jeans, sophisticated casual with a white shirt and grey fresco trousers. Click on the pictures for the links.
View attachment 956876
View attachment 956878
These are right up my alley, thanks. Like the colors and the cut, need to assess for warmth and ability to keep dry in San Francisco’s notoriously chilly summers. Any other brands you personally like?

Reaction score
It's just white, not shiny or reflective. Everyone's wardrobe has room for a white jacket looking young and sportive especially in warmer weather. Aspesi is renowned for its classic styled outerwear updated with modern silhouette and extensively researched fabrics. It surely produces them in an array of colors but you won't find the prices as wallet friendly as what I offer.

Besides blazers you still have a lot of versatile options suitable for both work and casual occasions. You can check out my Buy&Sell listings for some other Italian outerwear labels. Classic styled: Hevò, Paltò, Performance wear: Esemplare, President's, Nemen. Workwear: Cini, Barena.
Thanks. Will look up your collection

Saud Ibrahim

Reaction score
I think you should give a go to longer coats provided they have very good fittings. Check if you can find them ready made, otherwise lots of options online to make custom jackets. Plus longer trench coats will be a change in your wardrobe and longer length do add classiness

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads