• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Store vs Internet

spikey2

Reaction score
Which is better buying In Store or from Internet? I found I great internet site thats saves me time and money, but most of my friends prefer In Store. What is your preference?

mhelv

Reaction score
I've found a ton a great deals online, but you really need to know your sizes and fit. Every brand has a different fit too, so if you're buying from a brand you've never tried you're also taking a risk.

The benefit of buying in a store is that you can try it on. If you find the same thing online as in a store, then buy it online as you'll most likely save money online. It also doesn't make sense to buy online unless you're getting a great discount. I sometimes take the risk and say, "If I can get 3 articles of clothing for the price of 1 online then if I screw up on one, I'll still be ahead"

Raralith

Reaction score
I bought a lot of items in store when I first got into mens clothing because you really need to be able to see, feel, try, and get the overall grasp of the clothing. After I got my staple items and knew how to size, most of my purchases went online. The only time I visit retail now is mainly for sales, clearances, special events, and MTO order type items. California tax is pretty killer too, almost 10% so some shoe purchases are hundreds of dollars in tax when purchased locally.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
I like buying in the store better. I don't get surprised by fit or color that way.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
def in store!!

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Try on in store, buy online.

This. Although I do find it hard to find English shoes in stores, even in NY
(Not C&J/Church's, think Loake and Trickers)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The big advantage of online is, perhaps surprising to some, choice. If you are looking for something specific, you are nearly always bound to find it somewhere in the world, in the size and color your are looking for. It is also remarkably convenient, and comparison shopping is easy. Of course, this works better if you are familiar with labels and pieces.

I go into B&M stores mostly to be surprised. That's when I'll find that piece that looks amazing when I try it on that I never thought would fit my style. That's where I'll discover accessories that just don't translate well over the internet. Nothing bores me as much as a retailer who carries all the brand I like, and nothing I haven't seen.

I feel that the internet is making B&M work harder, take more chances, and that this is a good thing for the fashion industry.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both but I prefer to see the tems in person before I buy.

Todd6060

Reaction score
I prefer online if I can get free shipping and free returns.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can often get better deals online, but if it's an item from a small business I would prefer buying in store. Visiting O'Connell's, or Sherman Bros. for example, is a wonderful experience and well worth the extra 5% you might have to spend vs. buying online.

I would not hesitate to buy from Brooks Bros. online instead of in store.

*#..

Reaction score
Prefer online buying for the selection and deals. That said, once you've measured yourself and found good-fitting clothing, online shopping should be easy. Just be wary of deceptive stock pictures and you should be good. Try to find other users that have posted their own pics of items you like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads