• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Shanghai in two weeks... worth getting fitted by Chan?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be in Shanghai in two weeks, just for a weekend. Is it worth stopping in at Chan to get measured for future online purchases? Will they allow that if I don't want to order immediately?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I'll be in Shanghai in two weeks, just for a weekend. Is it worth stopping in at Chan to get measured for future online purchases? Will they allow that if I don't want to order immediately?

It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask and their customer service is great.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Not sure if only being measured is good for you. The value of bespoke is in the tweaks during the fitting process. My best coats from Chan had fittings.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, you could combine getting measured with a purchase. That would be no different from the many customers in Chan's foreign tours who don't bother with a basted fitting. You could get measured, order something and they'd ship it to you.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Or measure in Shanghai and then get a basted fitting on tour.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang

Then he'd be paying for shipping both ways for a few more $$$$$$.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No point in going to the shop for just getting measured. Patrick can do this on the tour. The real advantage is to go through the process of measuring, basted fitting, additional fittings while personally present in Shanghai or Hong Kong. This allows them to finalize your paper pattern and from there on it is easy to order additional suits / shirts. 2 weeks should be plenty of time for the full process (when I was in HK, it took them 8 days)

emptym

Reaction score
It's definitely worth getting fitted there, but I don't know if it's worth just getting measured there, unless you don't live somewhere that they visit. Dopey advised me a few years ago to get measured during a tour and then get fitted when I visited HK. That was great advice. I was measured here, then--a few months later--had a fitting in HK on Monday, another on Wed, a third on Friday, and picked up the finished suit on Sat. If you will visit Shanghai or HK again, I would say it would be worth it to get measured now, order something a at least a few weeks before your next trip and get fitted then. Btw, if you have time in Shanghai, visit W. Sanford and take pics for us. Say hi to Sanford for me too pls.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Canada, so no, Chan doesn't come here. I might just drop by and see what they say...

hongkongbunny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang

... so who is "Chan", a local sartorial legend? I am thinking of crossing over to suits (although the dry cleaning issues bother me), I quite like Canali & recently noted they have a made-to-measure store in the Shanghai Penisula

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hongkongbunny
... so who is "Chan", a local sartorial legend? I am thinking of crossing over to suits (although the dry cleaning issues bother me), I quite like Canali & recently noted they have a made-to-measure store in the Shanghai Penisula

WW CHAN and Sons. You can find their stores on 茂名路 and in 上海商城.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hongkongbunny

Great first post, HKBunny.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan