• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In search of tweed

BostonRussell

Reaction score
I was originally in love with this guy:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...6287/96287.jsp

Then I read that Ebay was such a treasure trove of tweed jackets (presumably because of the vintage stock, also that tweed takes well to wear and tear). I certainly have found some affordable options but the dull photography on most of them (not on a live human, no shirt/tie attached) is giving me trouble evaluating them. I'd love to save abotu 200$, it could go right to my "Edmond Allen Bel Air" fund.

Oppinions are appreciated:

http://cgi.ebay.com/mens-blazer-jack...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/blazer-jacket-Ha...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/blazer-jacket-Ha...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brown-Harris-Twe...3286.m20.l1116

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you go the eBay route, I would advise cautious bidding on brands you don't know. Tweed is hearty, but the construction on some older coats is lacking, and those can be stiff and a little unpleasant. Also, buying vintage naturally comes with a risk of holes or other problems. If you keep the initial investment low, it makes any misfires much more tolerable. And you might just end up with something great.

When looking at older coats, consider the shape and size of the lapels and the placement of the buttons. Are the bottoms of the lapels straight or rounded? I prefer straight, myself. And very low buttons -- with the bottom button well below the top of the pocket flap -- are a style that has now passed. Of course, if you don't mind looking a bit vintagey, no trouble there. Personally, I hunt the slim-lapeled look from the '60s. These, sadly, are far outnumbered by their large lapeled, lower-buttoning brethren.

Aside from eBay, you might consider visiting thrift shops. That's where most of the eBay tweeds are coming from, as thrifts are invariably brimming with older tweeds. There, at least, you get to inspect and handle the merchandise, so you know what you're getting.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If you go the eBay route, I would advise cautious bidding on brands you don't know. Tweed is hearty, but the construction on some older coats is lacking, and those can be stiff and a little unpleasant. Also, buying vintage naturally comes with a risk of holes or other problems. If you keep the initial investment low, it makes any misfires much more tolerable. And you might just end up with something great.

When looking at older coats, consider the shape and size of the lapels and the placement of the buttons. Are the bottoms of the lapels straight or rounded? I prefer straight, myself. And very low buttons -- with the bottom button well below the top of the pocket flap -- are a style that has now passed. Of course, if you don't mind looking a bit vintagey, no trouble there. Personally, I hunt the slim-lapeled look from the '60s. These, sadly, are far outnumbered by their large lapeled, lower-buttoning brethren.

Aside from eBay, you might consider visiting thrift shops. That's where most of the eBay tweeds are coming from, as thrifts are invariably brimming with older tweeds. There, at least, you get to inspect and handle the merchandise, so you know what you're getting.

Thanks for that info!

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doc is like the king of the fall look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads