In Praise of Trickers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lawman, May 13, 2009.

1. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Espresso isn't dark enough for you? It's almost black!

2. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Espresso isn't dark enough for you? It's almost black!

Mine appear lighter than usual here (lots of natural light).

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Worth bringing up again, Wes, they're wonderful.

4. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Thanks, I do like them a lot; I've probably worn them once or twice every week since I got them. Re Tricker's Espresso: I briefly had a pair of their Regent calfskin captoes in that colour with natural sole edge finishing, MTO for a German retailer (returned them because of needle drag marks). That pair could pass for black depending on the lighting.

5. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

my espressos definitely are not black, they are clearly brown

[​IMG]

6. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

What is the Tricker's Continental collection. A shoe on sale on the Tricker's ebay store http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trickers-Facto...ht_1245wt_1165 has the description From the Continental Collection A Gentlemans Derby tramping shoe in oatmeal suede off the W 2298 set of lasts On a red micro rubber sole

7. Mr. Tweed

Mr. Tweed Well-Known Member

It is not really a collection, like the Country, 1829 or Jermyn collection. To my experience Tricker's use it to describe shoes on their W2298 last. This is more of a country last, but slightly slimmer and longer compared to the country classics like Bourton and Malton. Not a bad choice for some nice dirty bucks, I guess...
    Yours,
    Mr. Tweed

8. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ Thanks for your reply.

I like the style of the shoes in the Tricker's ebay shop but the color of the suede seems to be too white for my taste.

9. duration

duration Senior member

Mine appear lighter than usual here (lots of natural light).

Thanks guys. Didn't know that Espresso was that dark!

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I just received a pair of Tricker's that I think are several seasons old. While new, they seem to have a lot of shop wear on them, and I'm not sure whether I should keep them. Anyone recognize these? Is there anything particularly special about these that should make me think twice? The store claims original retail on these was $640!

They are Dundee model. The box says "Cordan Burnished Derby Shoe." Pics below. First with flash, the rest without.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ Depends on how much you paid ...

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

^^ Depends on how much you paid ...

Good point. It was in the neighborhood of 50% off. I don't see how they're much different than these:
    http://www.pediwear.co.uk/trickers/products/165.php

...which would be less than I paid and new. And honestly, I have a hard time believing that these ever retailed for $640. Am I missing something?

13. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

The Dundee model you have linked to is probably discontinued, hence the low price and limited sizes.

If you paid 320 USD for those shoes, I wouldn't say you got a great deal but if you like it then I guess you could keep them.

14. Salsalocust

Salsalocust Senior member

The Dundee model you have linked to is probably discontinued, hence the low price and limited sizes.

If you paid 320 USD for those shoes, I wouldn't say you got a great deal but if you like it then I guess you could keep them.

As stated, the Corniche range is discontinued. Corniche are and were perfectly decent shoes - the leathers used are basic and the price point at Pediwear is accurate and appropriate for first grade items.

Regards,

Graham

15. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

As stated, the Corniche range is discontinued. Corniche are and were perfectly decent shoes - the leathers used are basic and the price point at Pediwear is accurate and appropriate for first grade items.

Regards,

Graham

Thanks for the info. I sent them back. Not a bargain at the price, and not in condition that I consider to be sellable as new. Disappointed, but not a fair assessment of Trickers in general.