• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In praise of the fora

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As many regular posters and readers will know, I spent 2006 on sabbatical and took advantage of the outlet shopping in Southern California. I had resolved to upgrade my image by ditching the Levis that were ubiquitous on non-teaching days, incorporating tailored jackets with pocket squares, shirts that actually fit, and better shoes and accessories. Now that I've returned home and classes have started, I'm pleased to report that within a span of 3 days, three different colleagues told me I was looking "sharp", "spiffy", and "dapper". One of them also commented specifically on my jackets and pocket squares.

So *thank you* to all who contributed to my sartorial transformation and to Andy and j for hosting such marvelous sites! Although I don't post a lot of questions, I read voraciously and I've learned from each and every one of you. I'd also be remiss if I didn't offer special thanks to Full Canvas for recommending his tailor to me.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pictures. We must have pictures!
smile.gif
And has your dapper style in any way changed your dating scene?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinman, I hope your upgraded wardrobe (I'm thinking of jackets and pocket squares in particiular) doesn't move you as far from the modal dress practices of your department as it would me! Jeez, I'd stick out like a sore thumb and probably get comments like "Going to a wedding?" I'm guessing that you'll be closer to the departmental norm than that! And good for you for demonstrating decent dress practices to the students--who have few examples of this in today's world.

tsherry

Reaction score
Well put, Thinman. I've garnered some of the same reactions from family and friends. The sheer amount of knowledge here is amazing.
By the way, don't take all the size 12's that show up in the cool shoes thread!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roger, the pocket squares especially put me quite far from the departmental norm and I was actually expecting a few derogatory comments, but I've gotten none so far. As I move to more colorful squares, it may happen. And yes, I've discovered that some students learn far more from professors about issues peripheral to the subject matter than I would have thought possible, so I _may_ be a positive influence on the dress habits of some student(s), though I'll probable never know.

D rube, I actually bought myself a digital camera for Christmas, so I'll try to post pictures periodically. Unfortunately, my new image hasn't changed my dating scene, yet. A lady-friend who knows how I feel about her still prefers to mother her weenie boyfriend, so it's time for me to move on. I _really_ wouldn't respond well in the type of relationship she seems to prefer, anyway. As in any college town, the challenge now is meeting age-appropriate women. I _am_ getting more smiles from women as I go about my day, though.

tsherry, you needn't worry about me snapping up size 12 shoes. I have enough shoes for a really nice rotation, so I've decided to target certain specific models like the JL Vale and Sutton. We may still find ourselves bidding against each other, but I'm trying to exercise some restraint (famous last words of aportnoy, I believe).

I forgot to mention that I was also complimented on my EG Dovers (RL Pitneys) by a random stranger in cowboy dress last Friday. He wanted to know where I got them, etc. Thankfully, he didn't ask the price.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I _am_ getting more smiles from women as I go about my day, though.
Awesome. Good luck and happy hunting.

paper clip

Reaction score
great post. it takes guts to dress outside the norm. but once you have knowledge as provided by the board (in this case) or elsewhere, you have the confidence to know you're dressing the right way.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
thinman:

Thank you and I'm sure I speak for J in saying it's totally our pleasure!

Andy

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
I hope your upgraded wardrobe doesn't move you as far from the modal dress practices of your department as it would me! Jeez, I'd stick out like a sore thumb and probably get comments like "Going to a wedding?"

Given the recent spate of discussions on the topic of wedding attire, I hope this means you have taken to going to work in morning dress? Heck, bosses used to do just that within living memory:

gulbenkianmorningdresskr0.jpg

That's the spirit - no more slobwear to work! Out with the lounge suits, I say old chap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads