• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

In Praise of the Diner

emptym

Reaction score
Had dinner at one tonight. If I weren't so cheap, I'd eat at one every night. You see all kinds of people there, all ages, races, social classes, sexes, levels of happiness. Love the ambiance. Reminds me of the buffets we went to in LV as a kid. Vinyl boots and stools. Plain stainless steel utensils. Great food.

Tonight I had the country-fried (or chicken-fried) steak, smothered w/ gravy. Two eggs over easy. Three buttermilk pancakes. Real butter. Real maple syrup. And a glass of milk. Whole milk. Decadent, all of it. $10. CNN was on w/ Larry King. I talked w/ the elderly couple in the next booth about their health, Cole Porter, theology, and Obama. The nicest waitress. Hard-working busboy.

This one was on the corner of Geary and Masonic. Either binge, iammatt, or my cousin recommmended it.
Anyone else like diners? Have another to recommend?

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's one just 2 blocks from my apt. It's open 24/7. The food is acceptable, but nothing to tell anybody about. I wish they would reduce their thousand-items menu to something more manageable--then they could surely make better food. But, in a pinch, at 3am, you can't beat it with a stick.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. I'm happy you enjoyed yourself at a diner. I havent had anything decent at an NJ diner in years. Even at my uncles. You got me in the mood to go to one on my coming day off for sunday breakfast.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sometimes, I watch that quintessentially Yuppie program on PBS called "Check Please!" where different Bay Area yuppies come together to review restaurants they had each suggested and been to.

I recall there was an episode where they reviewed a diner, favorably.

emptym

Reaction score
^I say we meet there for SF in SF part III, if there is one.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My last visit there I only ate in a diner once- at Bashful Bull. Kinda average, foodwise but the diner atmosphere itself is what makes me go there. I should find better places for my return there. What do you recommend?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there's one about 2 blocks from my office, I love it. another one within walking distance of my house, and we go there maybe once a month. its strange, though, I don't know if anybody varies their orders that much in a diner - I always order one of maybe 5 things, so do most people I know (everybody maybe a different 5 things).

emptym

Reaction score
^ Five things is pretty good. I probably order a country fried steak 80% of the time. I think I had 5 or six of them on my trip across country. This is the one I just went to and recommend, Acidicboy. Surprised by the low ratings. It's prob. the decor. Not everyone was raised on LV buffets.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally like diners but it is really hit or miss on the food quality and cleanliness. Some of them are disgusting.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I lived in Brooklyn, there was a diner on my way to the train. They made their own doughnuts, which were great. My wife and I went almost every weekend. Friendly waitresses, cheap food -- $3 for coffee, oj, 2 eggs, toast, potatoes. Makes me hungry.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
When I lived in Brooklyn, there was a diner on my way to the train. They made their own doughnuts, which were great. My wife and I went almost every weekend. Friendly waitresses, cheap food -- $3 for coffee, oj, 2 eggs, toast, potatoes. Makes me hungry.
Can you get West Coast style apple fritters and old-fashioneds there? My brother is looking for a place in NYC that has them.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the few remaining all-night diners at which you can get a good burger or turkey dinner or a well-mixed drink like a tom collins is one of the true simple pleasures.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • 31 - 40