1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

In praise of Ralph Lauren customer service

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Mar 16, 2005.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

I bought a pair of black Purple Label corduroys from the Polo store in Short Hills, NJ. I got them hemmed and the waist taken in a bit.

The salesman wrote March 1 on the ticket, then crossed it out and wrote March 3. "We tell the tailors March 1, but you pick them up March 3."

"Ok, March 3?" I responded. "Yes."

I return March 3 with my ticket. The woman goes downstairs for about 10 minutes and comes back. "I'm sorry, what did they look like?" I describe. Back down again. They can't find them. "Can you come back later in the day?" At this point I've already spent a fair amount of time twiddling my thumbs in the store.

I come back later. Still no sign of them. Finally, they find them. The tailoring hasn't been done. "You said March 3," I say. "No, no, it says March 3 on the ticket, but that's not when they will be ready. They are ready after that." Well, I explain the assurance I was given before and express my displeasure.

"Well, the tailors are working on them now, it should be about 10 minutes."

"10 minutes, are you sure?"

"10 minutes."

30 minutes later: nothing. I walk up to the woman, "Look, maybe they don't know I'm waiting for them. Can you go down to check?" She goes down to check and comes back: "They say it will be another hour." I say I can't wait around any longer, I'll have to come back another day.

I come back another day. Hand them the ticket. Guess what? They can't find them. Again. I explain my dispeasure again, and tell them that they have the totally shoddy and inexcusable customer service. Finally they found the pants. The manager, who knew I was very unhappy (and probably feared a letter to the Corporate office) said I could pick out a Blue Label dress shirt for my inconvenience.

I picked one I liked at $125. I got it for free. I am really unhappy with being bounced around and having to hang out in the store for that long, but the $125 was quite a gesture. They could have offered to ship me the pants for free once the work was done, or give me a small discount on my next purchase, or anything else... But a $125 shirt of my choosing? Not bad.

2. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior Member

You should have told them you would need to have the shirt altered. Indeed, that is a nice freebie, too bad all the Polo shirts are so huge.

Dan

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

You should have said, "well you know what I really need? a black label suit, I've got a friend in California who is dying to know how they fit."

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

I got Custom Fit, and it's actually pretty good.

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

Custom fits are a great cut. The Philip model is also a nice slimmer cut -- fits me be better than just about anything at that price point in terms of dress shirts.

6. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior Member

I'm sure the reason they have such a good customer service policy is so that people are 'wowed' and tell their friends about the experience... sorta like what you're doing now.

7. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior Member

I recently got some Made in Italy RL blue label shirts (120/2) that were rather slim cut. I've tried some lower ones before, but the Italy ones are definitely the slimmest cut of the ones I've tried. I think they were originally priced at $165.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Unbelievable, I've never heard that before, and I've had that happen to me before. Best I've gotten is free tailoring (maybe more that $125 worth though...). Consider yourself very, very lucky.

Jon.

9. Charley

Charley Distinguished Member

There are very few posts here that cause me to laugh.

That one sure did. "Have the FREE SHIRT altered." It was Wonderfully funny. I decided that it must be a New York thought.