In Praise of Olive

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Mar 18, 2011.

1. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Will we be having a dedicated thread for each and every color ?

I have a feeling this one might be the proverbial jumping of the shark.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm not a fan of olive. Besides, it looks awful on me.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

A bluish olive and heather greens looks very good on people with fair skin especially when combined with blue, pink and or purple. I used to find an olive cotton suit far more practical than a tan one. It doesn't show marks and the wrinkles aren't as obvious.

Muted greens - or olive, were very big at the Pitti show in Florence in February. Next fall just about all of you guys will be looking at olive sport coats, especially with a subtle plaid pattern, with a whole new appreciation. Usually these trends last for 2-3 years so it would be a good time to buy one and to look current.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is a styleforum and a sub forum on men's clothing. Where else is someone supposed to discuss colors for clothing? The selection of color and the right colors for you is very important to looking your best.

I for one, find these various "In Praise of _____" sub forums very inspiring and filled with good suggestions.

I have a feeling this one might be the proverbial jumping of the shark.

5. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I for one, find these various "In Praise of _____" sub forums very inspiring and filled with good suggestions.

I agree, and have contributed to others, but my prediction about this particular one stands.

6. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Muted greens - or olive, were very big at the Pitti show in Florence in February. Next fall just about all of you guys will be looking at olive sport coats, especially with a subtle plaid pattern, with a whole new appreciation.

In London a couple of weeks ago there were many olive sport coats to be seen in the wild. To my eye, the most common color of sports coats among those worth noticing.

What does that mean? I have no idea. At the time, I chalked it up the British countryside ideal.

7. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Don't fool yourself; not even in the same league as navy and grey.

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Like the color but have to agree that it is seldom seen in a flattering light. As a suit it seems like a color that doesn't lends itself to too many color combinations and probably is why not many people resort to olive as a go to pick.

Nobody said it was as versatile as navy or gray. There is a place for olive still.

9. TurfedGomer

TurfedGomer Member

A bluish olive and heather greens looks very good on people with fair skin especially when combined with blue, pink and or purple. I used to find an olive cotton suit far more practical than a tan one. It doesn't show marks and the wrinkles aren't as obvious.
    It would be great to see some pics of a bluish olive tone, it sounds enticing.

10. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

I was going to post a question on how to pair an olive grenadine tie... And realized: White shirt or light blue shirt + navy or charcoal or mid-gray suit + black or brown shoes, etc.

So yeah, I like olive as a compliment to navy or gray, but not as the dominant color of an outfit.

11. Srynerson

Srynerson Senior member

12. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Don't fool yourself; not even in the same league as navy and grey.

And brown.

13. TurfedGomer

TurfedGomer Member

Olive suit, White shirt, Grenadine tie... is anyone else craving a martini right now?

14. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Since autumn has hit the northeastern US, I thought I would revive this thread by posting this:

[​IMG]

More of a forest or dark bottle green than olive, but still in the spirit of the thread, I think.

15. Shoe City Thinker

Shoe City Thinker Senior member

Well... it is!