In Praise of Navy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Parker, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Here, here! Love, love, love navy. As others have mentioned, the trick is to not get fabrics that are too dark. The blue should be a vibrant blue.

I often have to stop myself from wearing my navy blue blazers and suits as I wear them too often. Paired with a navy tie, of course. :^)

2. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

However, I'd like to take this opportunity to state that if you wear black shoes with a navy suit, you are a filthy pigf**ker. I thank you for your time.

Please take this opportunity to enlighten me; no doubt, it will be amusing.

3. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

I love navy. Today I wore a navy pinstripe SB2b, pale blue shirt (moderate spread collar, barrel cuffs), BB#3 Repp tie in navy with gold stripe, navy/cream hounds tooth ps, navy socks, and black C&J Lonsdale cap toe oxfords.

4. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

5. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

"In Britain, a blue suit has for too long conjured up a picture of a 'Sunday-go-to-meeting' suit in blue serge, either too dark (that is to say, too much like the true navy blue that is almost black), or in what one calls a bad navy, one that is too purple. In point of fact a good navy is a very becoming color to almost everyone, male or female. It is not actually navy blue at all, but what we would call a French navy, a light navy with a green cast and never a red. Most people like to look at it; it is very clean-looking with a white shirt, and very elegant looking and harmonious with a blue shirt. It is an ideal color by artificial light when it will go deep black whereas black itself may go brown or greeny. A blue suit is therefore an excellent late-day garment when a dinner jacket is not required."

Hardy Amies, ABC of Men's Fashion, 1964.

6. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Big fan of navy (SC, sweater, tie) except for suits. Still havent figured out what shirt/tie to wear with a navy suit. If I wear a light blue shirt, I feel its too bluey. If I wear a white shirt, then what tie ? I generally wear something similar to this tie and a white shirt. Its OK but not great What shoes to wear are another problem area for me. I wear black shoes with it but it doesnt look 100% right.

7. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

black wingtip brogues look great with navy suits
    and of course brown shoes look great as well.

as for shirts, white or pale blue. as mentioned above, the monochromatic look is great with navy suits, hard to mess up and looks sharp.

8. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

9. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

Not a fan of the pink tie. The suit's fine though.

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

some navy... and then some variations on the color. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] "that's right, you heard me correctly. I OWN you" [​IMG] and some variatons.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Still havent figured out what shirt/tie to wear with a navy suit. If I wear a light blue shirt, I feel its too bluey. If I wear a white shirt, then what tie ? I generally wear something similar to this tie and a white shirt. Its OK but not great

What shoes to wear are another problem area for me. I wear black shoes with it but it doesnt look 100% right.

Are you kidding?

Serious question.

12. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Blue/navy flannel wool is amazing [​IMG]

13. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

Lot of nice suits here, but few of them are "navy". They are all, however, blue. To me, navy is a step below the super-dark midnight blue but a darker shade than royal blue, french blue, or whatever - which I think of as two gradations lighter than midnight blue.

14. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

I like navy when it doesn't look black. Judging from some of these pictures and from the majority of retailers, I think I should say I like petrol blue though.

15. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

if I have to get a OneSuit, its definitely gonna be in navy.