• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise of Navy

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here, here! Love, love, love navy. As others have mentioned, the trick is to not get fabrics that are too dark. The blue should be a vibrant blue.

I often have to stop myself from wearing my navy blue blazers and suits as I wear them too often. Paired with a navy tie, of course. :^)

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
However, I'd like to take this opportunity to state that if you wear black shoes with a navy suit, you are a filthy pigf**ker. I thank you for your time.

Please take this opportunity to enlighten me; no doubt, it will be amusing.

Archivist

Reaction score
I love navy. Today I wore a navy pinstripe SB2b, pale blue shirt (moderate spread collar, barrel cuffs), BB#3 Repp tie in navy with gold stripe, navy/cream hounds tooth ps, navy socks, and black C&J Lonsdale cap toe oxfords.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
"In Britain, a blue suit has for too long conjured up a picture of a 'Sunday-go-to-meeting' suit in blue serge, either too dark (that is to say, too much like the true navy blue that is almost black), or in what one calls a bad navy, one that is too purple. In point of fact a good navy is a very becoming color to almost everyone, male or female. It is not actually navy blue at all, but what we would call a French navy, a light navy with a green cast and never a red. Most people like to look at it; it is very clean-looking with a white shirt, and very elegant looking and harmonious with a blue shirt. It is an ideal color by artificial light when it will go deep black whereas black itself may go brown or greeny. A blue suit is therefore an excellent late-day garment when a dinner jacket is not required."

Hardy Amies, ABC of Men's Fashion, 1964.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big fan of navy (SC, sweater, tie) except for suits. Still havent figured out what shirt/tie to wear with a navy suit. If I wear a light blue shirt, I feel its too bluey. If I wear a white shirt, then what tie ? I generally wear something similar to this tie and a white shirt. Its OK but not great What shoes to wear are another problem area for me. I wear black shoes with it but it doesnt look 100% right.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black wingtip brogues look great with navy suits
and of course brown shoes look great as well.

as for shirts, white or pale blue. as mentioned above, the monochromatic look is great with navy suits, hard to mess up and looks sharp.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
200904011197.jpg

chanfront.jpg

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Not a fan of the pink tie. The suit's fine though.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
some navy... and then some variations on the color.
burgandytiewhitepolkado.jpg
peacoatwithsweaterandsi.jpg
chalkstripedbpeaklapels.jpg
dbnavysportscoatjeanswh.jpg
fit9088zstripesuitweb.jpg
greenshirtnavyblazercre.jpg
navyblazerbluecheckshir.jpg
navyblazerblueshirtbrow.jpg
navyblazerwhiteshirtbur.jpg
navylinensportscoatwhit.jpg
navypinstripesuitredshi.jpg
navysportscoatblackcard.jpg
navysportscoatredscarfg.jpg
suitnavypeaklapelmaybe1.jpg
"that's right, you heard me correctly. I OWN you"
navysuitrlplpinkshirtch.jpg
and some variatons..
colorsbluepurplebeigeup.jpg
fitpetrolbluesuityfyf.jpg
galloknittie3phatguido.jpg
greybluesuitmtmzegnakni.jpg
highgorgelowbuttonandco.jpg
navblazerbluebengalocbd.jpg
navyblazergreypantspink.jpg
navychalkstripesuiteisa.jpg
navyorpetrolbluesuitlig.jpg
navysportscoatbluesweat.jpg
navysuitlapelrollblackk.jpg
shapeandstylevoxsartori.jpg
suitcolorgunmetalbluech.jpg
colorsnavysuitblacktiew.jpg
suitstyleingandfitredkn.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del

Still havent figured out what shirt/tie to wear with a navy suit. If I wear a light blue shirt, I feel its too bluey. If I wear a white shirt, then what tie ? I generally wear something similar to this tie and a white shirt. Its OK but not great

What shoes to wear are another problem area for me. I wear black shoes with it but it doesnt look 100% right.

Are you kidding?

Serious question.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Lot of nice suits here, but few of them are "navy". They are all, however, blue. To me, navy is a step below the super-dark midnight blue but a darker shade than royal blue, french blue, or whatever - which I think of as two gradations lighter than midnight blue.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like navy when it doesn't look black. Judging from some of these pictures and from the majority of retailers, I think I should say I like petrol blue though.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if I have to get a OneSuit, its definitely gonna be in navy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads