1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by niidawg3, Mar 9, 2011.

1. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

When you are mentioning brown jackets, are you referencing sport coats, or an actual outerwear jacket?

(I haven't really worn sport coats much, but am open to it. How about on the cooler days where I'd like something that gives me a little more coverage?)

2. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

As a spin off on Parker's great thread, i decided to start another thread on GRAY ... second only to BLUE in my opinion as the greatest color a man can wear. Gray is like a canvas, which allows you to paint to your heart's desire (or detriment).

My personal preference is for mid and light gray ... any variation from stone to charcoal can be a winner also, when done right.

Some examples to start it off ...

[​IMG]

That DB was made by P Johnson Tailor in Paddington, Sydney.

I actually tried it on (as a Master Garment) when I got fitted for a suit on Tuesday... It is sublime. [​IMG]

Also, I agree Niidawg, gray is the most versatile colour there is for suiting, with navy a close second.

Eagerly awaiting my gray, SB POW check from P Johnson now![​IMG]

3. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I am a fan of teh grey....all shades.

Mike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. OyezDC

OyezDC Well-Known Member

Gray is always wonderful, but best of all in flannel.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

5. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

When you are mentioning brown jackets, are you referencing sport coats, or an actual outerwear jacket?

Sport coats

6. ColdEyedPugilist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Killer combo, mate! [​IMG]

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I like gray, and have it in all shades, but navy is my favorite.

8. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

That DB was made by P Johnson Tailor in Paddington, Sydney.

I actually tried it on (as a Master Garment) when I got fitted for a suit on Tuesday... It is sublime. [​IMG]

Also, I agree Niidawg, gray is the most versatile colour there is for suiting, with navy a close second.

Eagerly awaiting my gray, SB POW check from P Johnson now![​IMG]

Yup - if i ever make it down under (here's to hoping for a work trip to HK and AUS this fall), P. Johnson will be on the list of places to check out.

The stuff i've seen from them so far has been stellar. Have they been around for a while? Hadn't heard of them till i set up my blog and saw their feed coming across thru Ethan's blog.

9. jwmbro

jwmbro Active Member

As a spin off on Parker's great thread, i decided to start another thread on GRAY ... second only to BLUE in my opinion as the greatest color a man can wear. Gray is like a canvas, which allows you to paint to your heart's desire (or detriment).

My personal preference is for mid and light gray ... any variation from stone to charcoal can be a winner also, when done right.

Some examples to start it off ...
    [​IMG]

Wow, I really really dig this suit / color combo. Even despite the strange cartoon head. Any more info on this? Is this someone from SF? Well done.

10. ColdEyedPugilist

Yup - if i ever make it down under (here's to hoping for a work trip to HK and AUS this fall), P. Johnson will be on the list of places to check out.

The stuff i've seen from them so far has been stellar. Have they been around for a while? Hadn't heard of them till i set up my blog and saw their feed coming across thru Ethan's blog.

I think they've been in the biz for a few years, friend. Used to be called the Suit Shop, when Patrick was just starting out. Like you, I only heard about them through Ethan's old blog (the pre-tumbr days).

They also sell some Drakes ties for a relative bargain.

Worth a trip if you're ever in this neck of the woods.

Give us a yell if you make it down here, niidawg; be awesome to catch up!

11. ColdEyedPugilist

Wow, I really really dig this suit / color combo. Even despite the strange cartoon head. Any more info on this? Is this someone from SF? Well done.

Taken from the P Johnson Tailor site; an up-and-coming Australian MTM outfit (do a google).

And no, I don't work for them.

But I am getting something made by them!!! [​IMG]

12. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like this thread. :)

That jeffreyd suit is so killer. [​IMG]

Totally. I didn't realize that one was by jeffrey. I thought he preferred a roped shoulder. This is so 'soft' looking.

Here's a question I posted into the quick questions thread, but didn't receive a reply. I wear a lot of medium gray pants. I personally hate the way khaki colored pants look, never wear black, and rarely wear navy. For a spring/fall lightweight jacket, what would you recommend in a business casual setting? (Collared button down shirt + pants, no suit/tie)

Charcoal/black? Tan? What style?

Almost anything goes with medium gray odd trousers except more gray. Try to keep the value of whatever color jacket either lighter or darker than your pants for some contrast. How about navy! [​IMG]

13. NORE

NORE Senior member

I love it, teh gray. Was thinking of picking this up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. david3558

david3558 Senior member

No, that's a P.Johnson suit (Australian brand)

15. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

I love it, teh gray. Was thinking of picking this up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice one, NORE. Is that the Garrison? The lapels aren't for the weak, but it fits [​IMG]. One of my favorite suits.

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I like it, teh grey. Maybe even better than blue. [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^ Hahaha Spoo pulls that photo out once more.

Speaking of love for grey, I'm wearing nothing but greyscale right now. Colours are overrated.[​IMG]

18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^^ Hahaha Spoo pulls that photo out once more.

Speaking of love for grey, I'm wearing nothing but greyscale right now. Colours are overrated.[​IMG]

You are right, that pic has now been posted for the last time. I need some new shit [​IMG]

19. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

20. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

I need some new shit [​IMG]

do you?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]