• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In praise of full retail shopping...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have been learning how to get great deals on things by lurking here and have put some ebay sellers to use, but I really have learned that there is a lot of value left in full retail price shopping.

Here's why I like it:

1. Selection, selection, selection. No more hunting for my size. I look at patterns and buy my size.

2. No shortages in my size. Usually plenty in stock even in half sizes at the right store.

3. Current season merchandise. Fewer trendy, already out of style in six months yesterday's "gotta have". In fact, a good rule for gentlemen is to avoid any clothing that the NY Times, GQ, or Esquire says is a must have piece.

4. Best patterns/colors/etc. are not taken because a sale is on and some sales guy gave an early tip-off or hold to his regulars.

5. No product sniping by ebay resellers at places like Filene's.

6. More relaxed, less pressured buying experience.

7. There is value in forming networks of friends at the better local and out of town stores.

8. Trunk shows, artisan collaboratives, and receptions are just plain fun when done well. Meeting great people like Massimo, Fabio Borrelli, Olga Berluti and others creates more of a connection with the craftsmanship imho.

9. Bespoke & MTM is loads of fun-fabric selection, fittings, your own "design" is really cool.

10. Shoes are much easier to buy in person.

Just my $0.02 on the subject...do you agree with me?

How much full retail shopping do you do?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the beginning of a season, I'll get about three pieces that I really like and that I'm reasonably certain will not make it to sales. I've been wrong about this, but seldomly. A few times I held off because I thought that the piece was too dear, and I've always been disappointed when it sells out.

I find that bargain shopping and beginning of season shopping are two different things altogether. In bargain shopping, you are digging through a bunch of left behinds looking for a gem. Beginning of the season shopping is more thrilling. You are in the race to identify and purchasethe best items before they are gone, gone, gone. I tend to like niche brands with limited distribution, so a lot of the stuff is tough to find to begin with.

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I have been learning how to get great deals on things by lurking here and have put some ebay sellers to use, but I really have learned that there is a lot of value left in full retail price shopping.

Here's why I like it:

1. Selection, selection, selection. No more hunting for my size. I look at patterns and buy my size.

2. No shortages in my size. Usually plenty in stock even in half sizes at the right store.

3. Current season merchandise. Fewer trendy, already out of style in six months yesterday's "gotta have". In fact, a good rule for gentlemen is to avoid any clothing that the NY Times, GQ, or Esquire says is a must have piece.

4. Best patterns/colors/etc. are not taken because a sale is on and some sales guy gave an early tip-off or hold to his regulars.

5. No product sniping by ebay resellers at places like Filene's.

7. There is value in forming networks of friends at the better local and out of town stores.

8. Trunk shows, artisan collaboratives, and receptions are just plain fun when done well. Meeting great people like Massimo, Fabio Borrelli, Olga Berluti and others creates more of a connection with the craftsmanship imho.

9. Bespoke & MTM is loads of fun-fabric selection, fittings, your own "design" is really cool.

10. Shoes are much easier to buy in person.

How much full retail shopping do you do?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is all very nice but really a moot point. If you can afford it, sure - who wouldn't buy under those conditions? The reality is that I could never buy the brands and quality I like and want if I cannot get them at a deep discount via sales, discounters and especially eBay. I am therefore perfectly willing to forego all the frills so that I can buy a $2,000 suit for $500 - even if it takes a while to find. My other option is to shop at full retail at JC Penney.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tend to buy things on sale as a general rule. I could certainly afford to shop full retail but I'd rather increase my buying power by purchasing items on sale.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
My other option is to shop at full retail at JC Penney.
Well they do have Land's End now so life is not too harsh,
smile.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I could certainly afford to shop full retail but I'd rather increase my buying power by purchasing items on sale.
I agree to a point, but what happens if you don't find your size? Do you live with the compromises?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
This is all very nice but really a moot point. If you can afford it, sure - who wouldn't buy under those conditions? The reality is that I could never buy the brands and quality I like and want if I cannot get them at a deep discount via sales, discounters and especially eBay. I am therefore perfectly willing to forego all the frills so that I can buy a $2,000 suit for $500 - even if it takes a while to find. My other option is to shop at full retail at JC Penney.

Preach it, brother!

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree that there is a lot of value to the retail experience. If I was loaded, then discount stores and sales would be for fun only, they would not be where I bought most of my wardrobe (you would most likely find me frequenting the shops of custom tailors and shoemakers.) But, unfortunately, I'm not loaded and I think my champagne taste/beer budget reality is probably shared by a good number of the members here.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely cannot agree with this one. When you go to a discount store you can try on whatever you want and nobody is bothering you about buying anything. The salespeople at outlets and discounters are only there to unlock the door to the changing room for you. On the other hand, at regular "full retail" stores, some salesman leaches on to you, puts your shoes on for you, and basically kisses your ass to the point that it makes you feel very uncomfortable to forego buying anything. Basically, as a summary, I find the buying experience at a place like Neiman Marcus to be a lot less relaxed and the buying experience to be filled with more pressure than at a place like Last Call.

As for always buying at full retail, well, I don't believe that a lof of the things I buy are worth what they are being sold for at full retail. Otherwise, the same things wouldn't be appearing at the discounters for pennies on the dollar. For example, a Corneliani suit is worth $600 (STP price) + waiting for the right suit to come along; a Corneliani suit is NOT worth $1400 + being able to find it right away at the store. Once you get a solid system down for discount shopping and you already have the basic pieces that you need, discount shopping becomes pretty easy.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What does Olga Berluti have to do with craftsmanship again? Berlutis are made in a factory by Stefanobi.

Anyway, yes, full retail is nice, providing they actually have something worth buying. There's a difference in the full retail experience between a place like Wilkes Bashford, which always treats me very well no matter how much or little I've bought (and I recognize that others may not have had positive experiences) and the DC Neiman Marcus, which generally has wretched service. Moreover, in the DC area and a couple of smaller retailers aside, the discount stores likes FIlene's Basement often have better stuff (IMHO) than the Mazza Gallerie Neimans or Saks.

I will agree with the OP that there is a great benefit to having the range of sizes or colors that you may actually want. One pitfall of discount shopping is making do, buying something that isn't actually what you really want but doing it because it's there and at a discount.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Definitely cannot agree with this one. When you go to a discount store you can try on whatever you want and nobody is bothering you about buying anything.
I think he`s talking about the atmosphere of the shopping experience.

When shopping retail, you can sit down in a quiet area over a cup of coffee/tea, and choose what you want in a relaxed atmosphere, with no pressure of competing with herds of people to buy something at discount.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I think he`s talking about the atmosphere of the shopping experience.

When shopping retail, you can sit down in a quiet area over a cup of coffee/tea, and choose what you want in a relaxed atmosphere, with no pressure of competing with herds of people to buy something at discount.

Can you really?

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a good rule for gentlemen is to avoid any clothing that the NY Times, GQ, or Esquire says is a must have piece.
agreed !

I am a classic dresser not a follower of trends and my closet is almost set with everything I need ( or would in the next 2 lifes
smile.gif
)

So as I don't really "have to" buy something, I do it for the fun of it... I have the cash to go and blow it at full retail, but I like better the joy of hunting and having found the right thing, right size at 75% off... And for me that I wear a European 48 suits, 15 1/2 shirts and Size 9 shoes it is indeed not easy as those sizes are the most common and you don't find too much on sale for those sizes....

However I have bought superb things on sales that fits me as MTM...

my $ 0.005 ( that is the 25% of 0.02
smile.gif
)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads