• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In praise of full retail shopping...

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
They are priced at the Lobb Prestige level I believe so above EG as well. EG & Lobb are better made but Berluti has the edge on finish and style in some ways. I think of them as having different purposes but I do like the design style the Berlutis add to my closet.

Shoes are very personal but one thing is for sure: Berlutis have a huge and loyal following.

-Well I do prefer the look of Berluti's stylistically (the conversative, classic ones) over EG/Lobb's. I'd agree, the Lobb's, EG's are better for business.

In the Berluti price range, I'd rather:

VASS on the U Last
Kitons

If Berluti RTW was about $700 I'd buy another pair of antiqued wholecuts but not for $1.2 to $1.4G's

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Kiton is $2,250 so I think you can't compare them to Berluti RTW at $1,200.

Vass I would not buy at any price if it has that hideous clown toe box. I do like their chisel toes. They do seem to be incredibly well made.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vass I would not buy at any price if it has that hideous clown toe box. I do like their chisel toes. They do seem to be incredibly well made.

---
As I said, the Ugolini U last by Vass.

I've owned both Berluti and Vass on the U last.
I sold the Berluti after awhile and used the money to buy another Vass U last. I found the Vass to be better in almost every way-Leather, construction etc.

Again, I do love the style, patina of Berluti, hence why I bought some, but the quality relative to Vass. You should buy a pair of Vass U lasts, and give a nice judgement after about 3 months on both. You might convert.

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
How much full retail shopping do you do?

For personal use: Less than 10% and the majority of that is at the grocery store amd gas station.

For Business: I would say perhaps 10% again gas & services.

Irresgardless of the number in the bank accounts why pay retail?

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Regardless of how much money I had, I can't see myself ever buying everything at full retail. I was raised to value thrift, and paying full retail, when I know I can get the same quality items for less, goes against that.

Kudos
teacha.gif

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I think he`s talking about the atmosphere of the shopping experience.

When shopping retail, you can sit down in a quiet area over a cup of coffee/tea, and choose what you want in a relaxed atmosphere, with no pressure of competing with herds of people to buy something at discount.

I'll shop wisely and pick up my own coffee
lol8[1].gif

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A Vass is not a Vass is not a Vass

coatandthai

Reaction score
I find that if I get an item I like AND I got a great deal on it, I like it even more. I also find that paying full retail does not make it any more likely that the item will end up in the "regular rotation" versus the "rarely worn" pile.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) If patination is important to you, Berluti is second to none (in the U.S.) In Paris, Aubercy presents substantive competition.
2) U-last Vass is $1300 in BG and apparently has set the standard for US pricing.
3) Since joining SF, I have started to split my purchasing into 2 categories- custom/highly personalized service vs. heavy discounting. In between is just not worth it.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have started to split my purchasing into 2 categories- custom/highly personalized service vs. heavy discounting. In between is just not worth it.
couldn't agree more. I can't fathom spending $4K on a rtw brioni when I can get full bespoke for about the same price.(I guess i don't care about the label)

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
couldn't agree more. I can't fathom spending $4K on a rtw brioni when I can get full bespoke for about the same price.(I guess i don't care about the label)

--- I'd completely agree. At north of 2k for a RTW suit, you really should start looking at bespoke, at minimum MTM.
But high end RTW price at 4k and above yet bought at $1000 makes me thrifty as hell.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vass I would not buy at any price if it has that hideous clown toe box.
Tsk Tsk, remember what I said on AAAC about not judging the Budapest until you've seen it in person
smile.gif
Hijack over though. All this talk of Vass and retail prices in the same thread is making me nervous
lookaround.gif

mrchapel

Reaction score
I do very little retail purchasing. I am a man of modest income with extraordinary expenses (being a student will do that), so every penny I can save is better for me. I expect that situation to change upon my completion with university, but until then its scouring eBay and the net for coupon codes and other such avenues of getting items at less than retail value.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps the Berluti discussion should be broken out into its own thread. I have my own thoughts on this.

otterhound

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
At full retail you can go bespoke with a custom tailor. That's my issue with full retail hence why I rarely do full retail unless it's complete bespoke.
Agreed 100%. RTW is never going to fit me perfectly, so why pay inflated prices for it? I have paid full retail for MTM, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads