• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In praise of Cleverley (and a stroll around Piccadilly)

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Had a wander round Jermyn St/Bond St/Burlington Arcade yesterday in search of a new wallet (not a green breast wallet, I understand they are quite difficult to obtain......).

Good fun and there are some nice sales on. My first choice was SAB but they have sold out of London Tan and "may be expecting more in February".

I headed up Jermyn St and had a look in Fosters - some nice options but not quite what I was looking for. Tons of shoes in the sale though (Trickers and EG have a sale on too, it didn't look like Lobb did).

Had a quick look in Fortnum & Mason but their nice stuff (Ettinger and Launer) was all in glass cases and the staff were quite busy.

Up to Burlington Arcade and a look in Pickett. A few options but nothing I really liked and although they were a little cheaper than SAB/Fosters I didn't feel they were quite as nice.

Bond St next but nothing took my eye so I popped into Royal Arcade to Cleverley. Quite busy in the shop (which makes thing interesting if you've ever been in there as it's tiny) - a couple of American gents were having fittings on their shoes from Mr Glasgow which was fun to watch. If the chap with the two-hole brown derbies is an SF member they were very nice
smile.gif

I dealt with Andrew who I believe is the shop manager. He dug a box of wallets out from the cellar and I picked a couple that were just what I was after. Andrew is an extremely engaging chap and we started to talk about shoes. I haven't bought from Cleverley before and wasn't looking for shoes but he was so passionate, knowledgeable and enthusiastic that I walked out with two pairs (not really SF approved but very appropriate for the city of London - plain black captoe oxfords and black half-brogue oxfords). I'm still not quite sure how it happened - probably helped that they have a small sale on
laugh.gif

The shoes are lovely - very light, extremely comfortable out of the box and nicely made (smooth supple calf, closed channel oak-barked soles). If you find yourself in the Bond St neck of the woods in the next few days it's well worth dropping in - they even had a few briefcases/document cases at up to 50% off....nearly had one of those too!.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads