• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In praise of Alterations and Mr. Thomas (London)

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a lot of jackets which I had in for alteration at Mr. Thomas in Lexington St (Soho).

I fancied treating myself and decided to get a lot of items altered which I was never really satisfied with. Was my first time spending that kind of money on getting clothes altered and I nearly passed out when I handed the money over.

I had no time to try them on as I was in a rush for a meeting - any problems I was told could be sorted out once I'd tried them on at home.

I was over the moon with the results. It was definitely worth the money and I feel like I've got a new lease of life from some bits which I was always on the fence about. Was definitely worth the money (some of them were major alterations like bringing the shoulders in, adding working button holes and shortening from the shoulder seams).

Anyway I thought I should definitely give Mr. Thomas a shout on here. He's recommended a lot on here and AAAC and rightly so.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yika
rough gauge of cost?

OK well the first lot I had done was a dinner suit:

Jacket:
Shoulders taken in
Sleeves shortened from the shoulder
Taken in slightly

Trousers:
Taken up
Taken in
Seat altered

Then a RLPL cashmere jacket (one of which I sold here a couple of weeks back)
Added working button holes (x8)
Sleeves shortened
Taken in

A RL Linen jacket
Taken in
Sleeves shortened

That came to £200.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also to add I had another batch - 2 x Kiton cashmere jackets which were taken in at the shoulders and the back and sleeves shortened from the shoulder. That came to £130 for both.

kraftar

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using him as well, did you make an appointment beforehand or just drop in with your items?

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraftar
I'm thinking of using him as well, did you make an appointment beforehand or just drop in with your items?

Just drop in. Was a pretty quick turnaround too. I dropped these bits off last Weds.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what's his address, any chance he worked on the weekend?

stylemaven

Reaction score
He's open on Saturday's and is my favorite london tailor.

Fantastic standard of work in my experience.

londonj

Reaction score
+1 I've used him for a few years and is definitely the best I've used in London. In particular he altered the shoulders on a Kiton suit which was nearly an inch too wide for me which is a really tricky alteration. A lot of london shops send their alterations there (aquascutum + others).

Only criticism is a pair of pants he made for me weren't fantastic.

rossyl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by londonj
+1 I've used him for a few years and is definitely the best I've used in London. In particular he altered the shoulders on a Kiton suit which was nearly an inch too wide for me which is a really tricky alteration. A lot of london shops send their alterations there (aquascutum + others).

Only criticism is a pair of pants he made for me weren't fantastic.

Originally Posted by stylemaven
He's open on Saturday's and is my favorite london tailor.

Fantastic standard of work in my experience.

Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon
Also to add I had another batch - 2 x Kiton cashmere jackets which were taken in at the shoulders and the back and sleeves shortened from the shoulder. That came to £130 for both.

Given that he has now sold the business, unfortunately due to ill health, who do you chaps go to now?

Thanks

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rossyl
Given that he has now sold the business, unfortunately due to ill health, who do you chaps go to now?

Thanks

Two guys called Francesco and Pio have purchased the business (Pinnas and Needles). Really nice guys. I've had a few alterations there and they turned out fantastic.

Not wanting to really air Mr. Thomas' misfortunes but from what I understand - he's quite ill and I hope he pulls through as he was a genuinely nice guy.

Dib

Reaction score
Two guys called Francesco and Pio have purchased the business (Pinnas and Needles). Really nice guys. I've had a few alterations there and they turned out fantastic.

What sorts of alterations did you have done from them? I have used Thomas previously, and am wondering if the new owners are also capable of handling complex alterations?

I also hope Mr. Thomas makes a full and speedy recovery, he was a genuinley pleasant person to work with.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dib
What sorts of alterations did you have done from them? I have used Thomas previously, and am wondering if the new owners are also capable of handling complex alterations?

I also hope Mr. Thomas makes a full and speedy recovery, he was a genuinley pleasant person to work with.

More than capable. Had sleeves shortened, buttonholes added, jacket shortened.
Good price and pretty quick turnaround.

rossyl

Reaction score

Thank you.

Dib

Reaction score

Many thanks for the feedback, that's really useful. I will definitely give them a try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads