• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise (but also Suspicion) of Patterned Pants

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FC recently mentioned in his Beginner's Thread that the use of patterned pants is fraught with peril. This is no doubt true. Patterns, particularly loud ones, attract the eye of the viewer. Generally we are interested in leading the viewer's eye to our face, not our trousers, hence the difficulty of patterned odd trousers.

We carry on nonetheless. I do not claim expertise so much as a sense of adventure in starting this thread, which will attempt to feature patterned odd trousers worn to positive effect. All entries welcome.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patterned pants, like anything else, have every place in your wardrobe provided they work for you and you know what to match them with and you are not afraid to enjoy life. All the approval you will ever need will be your own.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Patterned pants, like anything else, have every place in your wardrobe provided they work for you and you know what to match them with and you are not afraid to enjoy life. All the approval you will ever need will be your own.

that's like some deep ****, right there.

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score

I like patterned trousers. I often prefer a subtle patterned trouser and a solid coloured odd jacket than plain trousers and a loud sportscoat. It can be both subtle and just a little unexpected.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bloody difficult to pull off. Every time I've tried, I've been dissatisfied with the outcome.

Yimmerman

Reaction score
I think they are easier to pull off if you're Scottish and can point so some kind of heritage.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think they are easier to pull off if you're Scottish and can point so some kind of heritage.

I often feel obliged to inquire about a gent's provenance before deciding on the tastefulness of his attire.

SF's master of the crazy pants is edmorel:

Indeed! well bold

Bloody difficult to pull off. Every time I've tried, I've been dissatisfied with the outcome.

I agree. That's why we're here! Let's see if we can't inspire HF to try again....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads