• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In need of an opinion on a suit

maloy

Reaction score
Can I please get some thoughts on the following suit (pics attached). Please be honest.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pattern looks REALLY busy, and I don't think it is just my browser. Looks more like a sportcoat to me, I can't imagine pants being made from that material as well. If you are looking for a utilitarian gray suit for interviews, weddings, etc. then I would suggest you look elsewhere.

maloy

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. The suit has like these little white dots, i think its something like nailhead is what the description said. my friend says from about 5 feet away you can't really see the dots.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that the suit may look busy because of the photograph. If it is a nailhead with a self stripe running through it, it could work. However, I also agree that this should not be your main go-to suit. If it was the fourth to fifth suits to add in a bit of variation to an existing rotation of basics I would say go for it.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I think that the suit may look busy because of the photograph. If it is a nailhead with a self stripe running through it, it could work. However, I also agree that this should not be your main go-to suit. If it was the fourth to fifth suits to add in a bit of variation to an existing rotation of basics I would say go for it.

agree with this. A medium blue nailhead could work as your number 3 suit, but I think its natural niche is in the number 4 or 5 slot.

Allowing for the distortion by the computer screen, I think that's likely a really nice lookin' suit. How much $, if you don't mind my asking.

maloy

Reaction score
The seller is willing to let me get it for 849, still contemplating. Thanks for everyones thoughts. Feel free to drop more!

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maloy
The seller is willing to let me get it for 849, still contemplating. Thanks for everyones thoughts. Feel free to drop more!

what else do you know bout it? Has it been altered at all, or is it truly NWT? what is the brand? is it full canvas construction (almost $900 is too much to pay for something that isnt, IMO)?

Frankly, the seller being willing to cut you a deal sounds fishy to me. If the suit's really all that, why wouldn't he want the auction to run out? The only instance I can imagine him offering a $900 Buy-It-Now is if he expects it to go for $600 if the auction runs its course.

Ask lotsa questions. have you seen all the measurements? are you sure it fits exactly enough to drop that kinda $$?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maloy
The seller is willing to let me get it for 849, still contemplating.

It better be a damned good one at that price eg a Borrelli, Brioni, Kiton, Oxxford.

If it is an Isaia or a Luciano Barbera (I doubt it is either) then you are paying too much even though they are still wonderful suits and often even better than the more pricey brands already mentioned.

maloy

Reaction score
The suit had been for sale with a best offer option and the suit went unsold. The suit is a Brioni NWT super 100's wool, It is not altered and every thing seems fine. I am still contemplating.

billiebob

Reaction score
That's a pretty big nailhead. If you really like the Brioni cut, and don't need this suit for interviews, it looks fine. I would try to find out the model and try it on somewhere. You would have trouble re-selling this for 850 if something didn't work out.

I have a charcoal Polo nailhead suit I wear often, but the pattern is much smaller and the white seems to jump out less than on this suit.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will be an eye-catching and distinctive suit. Is that what you're looking for?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The material brings John Gotti to mind.

guynamedsean

Reaction score
Are you sure the fabric is a nailhead? It looks like it could be a birdseye. I like nailhead fabric. I haven't seen many birdseye fabrics I really like.

maloy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by guynamedsean
Are you sure the fabric is a nailhead? It looks like it could be a birdseye. I like nailhead fabric. I haven't seen many birdseye fabrics I really like.

Well the description says nailhead and it looks that way to me. I really wont use this suit for an interview or anything so I think I can get away with it. we shall see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads