• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Japan 12/14 - 23, where to go/stay/eat?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry Alter, he ruined it for EVERYBODY.

Joe: Ramen recs!

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe E Taleo
Can anyone recommend a good whale meat restaurant?

I've never eaten there, but people have told me Kujiraya (imaginative name, no?) in Shibuya (next to 109) is good.

tedbearz

Reaction score
I'll be in Tokyo in Nov for three days. Any recommendations for discount shopping (clothes and electronics) and good cheap eats.

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Sorry Alter, he ruined it for EVERYBODY.

Joe: Ramen recs!

Our favorite place by far was called Sabuchan, which is featured on the world ramen net webpage. This is truly a hole in the wall. We walked by it several times before a random stranger we stopped on the street guided us to the place. Even he had difficulty finding it. We got the ramen and hanchan combo, and fortunately one of the chefs spoke fluent English. Actually, for the most part we got by on the fact that even though seemingly nothing is in English (minus the very convenient subway), almost everyone spoke it at varying levels of fluency. The crazy ticket vending machines at some ramen places are totally illegible without the help of friendly strangers.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe E Taleo
Our favorite place by far was called Sabuchan, which is featured on the world ramen net webpage. This is truly a hole in the wall. We walked by it several times before a random stranger we stopped on the street guided us to the place. Even he had difficulty finding it. We got the ramen and hanchan combo, and fortunately one of the chefs spoke fluent English. Actually, for the most part we got by on the fact that even though seemingly nothing is in English (minus the very convenient subway), almost everyone spoke it at varying levels of fluency. The crazy ticket vending machines at some ramen places are totally illegible without the help of friendly strangers.

Ramen at Sabuchan is far from sophistication in that it is using artificial flavor supplement which is being avoided by newly opened ramen shops.
Mmmmm... MSG

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if anybody's interested, I've booked eight nights at the Hotel New Koyo (thanks Slim!) and two nights at the Prince Hotel in Hakone. Not exactly a ryokan, but it's got onsen, a view of Mt. Fuji, and it's on some lake.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dusty, That sounds good - I'm sure that you're starting to feel excited now that the trip details are starting to come together. As noted in my previous posts, I'd really try to get to Kamakura for a day - it's a nice day trip and gives you a glimpse of somewhere unlike Tokyo. Within Tokyo, there are so many places to go and things to do that your days are guaranteed to be full. Shinjuku gyoen, the Imperial Palace surrounds, wandering around Shibuya/Shinjuku/Harajuku/Ginza, Meiji Jingu in Harajuku, Asakusa Kannon + visit to Asahi brewery over the river (the one with the "golden poo" sculpture on top)... the list goes on forever. Whilst you're in Hakone, see if you can squeeze in a day trip to Hakone Yumoto. It's a little town in the mountains, that you get to via a narrow-gauge, winding railway. Beautiful scenery and a very enjoyable ride. Near Hakone Yumoto there are some interesting attractions, including a quaint restaurant with the grandiose title of the "World Gyoza Centre" (their dumplings are very good, it must be said). If you are interested in sculpture and visual arts, you might be interested in a visit to the Hakone Open Air Museum (http://www.hakone-oam.or.jp/eng/), a large, park-like area set in the mountains featuring hundreds of sculptures by Brancusi, Moore, Rodin and many others. Also near Hakone is a preserved part of the old Tokaido, or Eastern Sea Road. This was the main route from Kyoto and Osaka to Tokyo in the days of the Shogunate and is well worth a look if you have the time. Have a great time!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads