• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In honour of LD: Why do men let women decorate their house?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
Why do women let men decide which stereo to buy, or which car?

Cause they typically don't know anything about those things. Whoever knows about stuff should do the deciding. In our house though, my mother bought the stereo, and she bought a McIntosh heh. That's one of the few things I'll give her credit for. :p

Anyway, I have my preferences and there are a variety of styles i could live with, but you can bet your ass that I'm gonna have a say when the time comes. :p

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone yet brought up the point that women often spend a lot more time at home than their husbands? I can totally understand why some would want to have a strong ownership and control over the decor they spend most of their awake time in.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
My wife and I have an agreement.
We both have to like what ever it is.
This seems to have worked out well over the years.
As a result our tastes have tended to merge.

Same here. We are mutual on everything other than our own personal spaces such as an office or garage. We both love interior design however and have similar tastes.

Nothing is worse than walking into a home and there is frilly crap everywhere because the man tucked his balls in and gave up for the sake of not having an argument.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Nothing is worse than walking into a home and there is frilly crap everywhere because the man tucked his balls in and gave up for the sake of not having an argument.

See, look, a married man agrees with me!!
laugh.gif

gdl, if that is the case, then the man's preferences should come first since he is likely paying for that house!

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Has anyone yet brought up the point that women often spend a lot more time at home than their husbands? I can totally understand why some would want to have a strong ownership and control over the decor they spend most of their awake time in.
Uh oh...
smile.gif
Seriously though, right now I'm living with an engaged couple, American guy and Hungarian girl. She works in an office, we both more or less work from the place. Everything that didn't come in the furnished apartment is either mine, or his. The plants are hers.

Brian SD

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I have very similar tastes in design. I'd let her decorate but I think she'd rather have me do it - it's somewhat agreed that I, being the designer, have the final say in mutual aesthetic decisions. I'm cool with that. I kind of do give a **** what color the towels are, myself.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll give you one serious reason: when a couple have divergent ideas on decorating, many women automatically take the stance that the man has bad taste. This is ingrained in the same way that women want to tell you how to dress or what's pretty and what isn't. It's social. Many men accept this as being the woman's domain and they have little or no say in it, and don't really care. Watch home improvement/redecorating shows. And as we all know, women are just as prone as men to having horrible taste.

Find a partner with whom you can compromise, or better yet, with whom you share tastes.

TheIdler also has a point that sometimes you just have to pick your battles. That's why I like all the rooms in our home except that ugly red bathroom. I got most of the closet, she got one red room.

b

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Same here. We are mutual on everything other than our own personal spaces such as an office or garage. We both love interior design however and have similar tastes.

yep!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads