• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In good taste.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is pretty easy to recognize good quality given the correct tools. Once you know what canvassed means and how to find it, you can find it with no real problem. The same goes for fabric, it is pretty easy to determine nice cloth when you have touched enough. On the other hand, good taste is more ephemeral. Do you feel that you have a good eye for tasteful things, or is it something you struggle with? How do you get past your shortcomings in this area?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One man's good taste is another's rubbish, but there are extremes we probably all agree on.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I like to think I have great taste.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
\tOne man's good taste is another's rubbish, but there are extremes we probably all agree on.
+1

How do you get past your shortcomings in this area?
I make mistakes!
I prefer trial and error instead of an evening with a book and a "copy" that is regarded as well done by those who might have read the same book^^.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet another thread about the tackiness of Style Forum.

It has been about a week hasn't it.

devil.gif

I thought I had good taste until I took a hard look at some of the stuff I buy.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I think I taste good
confused.gif

You must be a very flexible guy.

horton

Reaction score
I personally think you can learn some aspects of taste, and that some people pick this up faster than others.

i also believe some people are gifted in this area -- the real vanguards

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
I personally think you can learn some aspects of taste, and that some people pick this up faster than others.

i also believe some people are gifted in this area -- the real vanguards

I agree, I think taste can be taught but style cannot. Some people wear great brands/clothing etc but lack the pizzazz that a more naturally stylish person can pull off with the same or "worse" clothing.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't make any claim to impeccable taste. When I err, it's often on the side of eccentricity, I think. To help with that, I try to build on a conservative foundation, to keep things at least somewhat grounded. How the components are put together is another issue -- being colorblind doesn't help.

Other than that, I have a strong dislike for "flashy" and "conspicuously monied," so I go out of my way to avoid that look. That might be my greatest asset.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Yet another thread about the tackiness of Style Forum.

It has been about a week hasn't it.

devil.gif

I thought I had good taste until I took a hard look at some of the stuff I buy.

Not tackiness this time. I just was going through my closet and found myself think "WTF were you thinking" from time to time. For me, it wasn't so much evolution as it was going through some periods that were pretty questionable. Most of the WTFs came from certain years.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
You must be a very flexible guy.

There's another (and probably correct) answer, but it is DIRTY.

edit: ok back on topic. Yes, I ahve some stuff that i wonder wtf i was thinking, but mostly with regards to fit. I don't have any clothes that are truly embarrassing. Actually, I bought a pair of black armani pants. $400 and i've probably worn them 10 times. If only manton had been more quick to educate me back then.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I think I taste good
confused.gif

or less filling.

As to the original question, while some people have natural instincts and are good at the visual, I think that taste can be acquired with practice.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ I think it's more of practice than instincts. Learning through experimenting, trying out new stuff, and being able to discern later on what's good or not, is the best tutor.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Not tackiness this time.

I just was going through my closet and found myself think "WTF were you thinking" from time to time. For me, it wasn't so much evolution as it was going through some periods that were pretty questionable. Most of the WTFs came from certain years.

I know what you mean, but do you feel that you could have your current level of taste without these "mistakes"?

There are certain patterns and colors that I absolutely love but just don't work on me. It took me some time to convince myself of this.

I adore this tie that lance has. Love the colors, love the pattern. I have come close to buying it several times.

9934.JPG

It would not look good on me. No amount of wishing/dreaming will change that for me. It's possible I'd still try it anyway.

For me, personally, there is the issue of appropriateness. I adore tweeds and tartans. The bolder, heavier and more exotic, the better. I can get away with some of them, and do. The problem is when they fill 1/2 your closet.

I guess you could say that I wouldn't know this without having fallen down a few times. And now, when I do add a little dash to something I wear, I know that it works. And works damn well.

But I keep changing, and so I keep trying something new. And sometimes still fall down. So now, I tell the tailor what I want and use his editorial eye to keep my worst appetites at bay but still get something that is unique.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads