• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in general... why do people look better as they grow up?

yodawg

Reaction score
i'm talking about high school/ college to after. is it because we're finally earning and can chose to spend more money on haircuts? is it awareness? stopping blindly following fashion trends or what everyone around you is wearing? i don't look much different i believe.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awareness. As you mature, you stop with the stupid trendy **** and start trending towards the classic, time tested stuff. Generally. Some people never realize how stupid they look. Case in point, the owner of Abercrombie:
story.jpg

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Awareness. As you mature, you stop with the stupid trendy **** and start trending towards the classic, time tested stuff. Generally. Some people never realize how stupid they look. Case in point, the owner of Abercrombie:

story.jpg

Don't forget that in private he wears bespoke Huntsman and Lobb shoes. He'd be a **** ambassador for his own brand if he didn't dress like the image he sells.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
In high school and college you can feel free to experiment with no consequences whatsoever as long as it's not totally insane and they're no consequences. Post high school/college, real life starts to set in and I think more so than becoming self-aware, life kind of forces itself upon you and if you want to be taken seriously, you're gonna have to at least look the part a little bit or there will be real consequences. So you start dressing up for job interviews, dates, and social events, and it sort of just begins from there. Because let's be honest, if it wasn't for jobs, dates, social events, we'd probably all not be dressing *that* much differently than we did in college, maybe quite a bit different than high school though depending on how crazy we were.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yodawg
i'm talking about high school/ college to after. is it because we're finally earning and can chose to spend more money on haircuts? is it awareness? stopping blindly following fashion trends or what everyone around you is wearing? i don't look much different i believe.
It's sometimes diagnosed as failing eyesight, but it's more often wishfull thinking on behalf of the observer.

yodawg

Reaction score
I mean, topic probably won't be as popular on purseforum.
why? i don't mean just guys...

It's sometimes diagnosed as failing eyesight, but it's more often wishfull thinking on behalf of the observer.
or maybe being old enough to get lasik... i notice it the most on other people actually when i see pictures of them from years/decades ago.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Many people I now see from high school/college are fat and ugly.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay

Wow...this is almost revolutionary in negativity from you.

I approve!

- B

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Wow...this is almost revolutionary in negativity from you.

I approve!

- B

Just speaking the truth.
teacha.gif

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People generally find those of their same age group the most attractive regardless of what age group they fall into. You're probably just stating the convergence of two psychological effects.

Therefore, you probably found children more attractive as a child, teenagers more attractive as teenagers, young adults as one of them, middle aged at that time in your life, etc.

It's just the recency effect that makes you think that your most recent opinion is the true one. You've forgotten or consider previous opinions less important.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I get any better looking, I'll be dead.
teacha.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
+1 To add... Very few look better when they are older. Observe the vanity of older people who go for facelifts and other surgerys, hair dyes, makeup, clothes, etc, and anything else to try to look younger. $$$ I am sensing the OP is, homself younger and possibly respects older people, which is very commendable. To the OP, pick the age you respect the most, or where you would like to be. Write that number down with a memo. When you reach that age yourself, see if you agree with yourself later. In the interim, enjoy your youth; every minute of it. Achieve all that you can while you are in the prime of your life because life and looks gets harder as you get older..much harder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads