• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In general, how are the armholes on (trad) suits and coats from American makers like Southwick, J.Pr

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been checking out more trad suits lately. Like the styling on some, and that a lot of them allegedly have soft shouldering...but something I can't find much info about is the armholes. I personally can't stand low armholes, which I've experienced with lots of Brooks stuff. A total deal-breaker...how are the above brands in that regard?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Real trad suits jackets do not fit close to the body and have realatively low arm holes.
Brooks Brothers for the last 20 years or so have departed from their true natural shoulder
roots on most models. I know nothing about Southwick these days because again, they offer
several models some of which are less trad and more fitted. I do know that Samuelsohn
has the Greenwich model, and the recently discontinued Talbot model, both of which have
higher armholes and natural shoulders . Several of the Italian makers offer natural shoulders
and higher armholes. Isaia, Caruso, Sartoria Partenopea, Kiton, and Belvest come to mind.
Virtually all have higher armholes, but the shoulders vary greatly by model.

Thomas0302

Reaction score

Here is a Southwick suit jacket size 37R. If you cannot tell in the photo, the armholes are high on this jacket. Much more so than most other 37R jackets I have. The top (soft) shoulder seam to the bottom of the armhole is around 8.25-8.5 inches.

Hope this helps :)

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I still own a Navy BB Golden Fleece Madison suit, but it's more or less unwearable to me because of the very low armholes...it's fine if you're standing still, with arms down. I guess Southwick offer lots of different models, do they have any slimmer line? Or is it mostly trad sack/undarted suits?

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Southwick does offer a trimmer line (name escapes me right now), which is nice and all...but if you want trim fit, high armholes, and soft shoulder, you should really be looking at Italian makers like those mentioned above. The American makers have been trying to emulate the Italian style over the past 5-10 years with varying degrees of success. I have a suit from Hickey Freeman's Sterling Line that is pretty nice as a poor man's Canali. Thom Browne/BBBF is the only designer I'm familiar with who does soft shoulder/trim fit/high armhole in a distincly American way.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the latest Southwick thread I could find on CM so I'm posing this question:

Recently tried on a Tod schneider (sp?) suit at Bergdorf. It had nice natural shoulders. The cut was a little Thom brownish too, but not too extreme. The price point was a little higher than I wanted to pay, though (Bergdorf!). Has anyone seen Southwck suits anywhere that were discounted or perhaps go on sale frequently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads