In first! Edward Green Summer Sale June 25 to July 11

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Jun 24, 2009.

1. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Yes, shocking news!

I invite all to post those model, color and size availability emails right here, in this nice, cozy thread.

Thank you.

Direct popup link to von Rothbart's EG pictorial index entry with lasts, colors, models, etc.

- B

2. AJL

AJL Senior member

Emailed my request to the fine folks at EG on Sat. Expect to receive my list sometime in the wee hours tomorrow a.m. (Thurs). On my wish list: Beaulieu in dark oak, Cadogan or Malvern in mink or tobacco suede, possibly Asquith in dark oak, burnt pine or chestnut. Perhaps Halifax. We shall see...

What's on your wish list?

3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

I ordered three pairs from them, and got three completely different orders back. But I'm perfectly happy and will order more soon!

4. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

what are prices?

i would love a nice black Lichfield on the 82

5. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

I believe all the EG stuff I'd want is MTO [​IMG]

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I believe all the EG stuff I'd want is MTO [​IMG]
    Special order for extra boxy shoes with square soles? [​IMG]

7. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Special order for extra boxy shoes with square soles? [​IMG]
    That's Bettanin and Venturi. They're all S.O. [​IMG]

8. Tidybeard

Tidybeard Senior member

Don't waste your time. Ascot Shoes on Ebay will buy every single pair with even a slight discount, then list them endlessly at comedy mark-ups.

For example, this generous offer of the recently blown-out EG for Kurt Geiger:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/US-1195-Edward...3A1%7C294%3A50

9. AJL

AJL Senior member

Don't waste your time. Ascot Shoes on Ebay will buy every single pair with even a slight discount, then list them endlessly at comedy mark-ups. For example, this generous offer of the recently blown-out EG for Kurt Geiger: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/US-1195-Edward...3A1%7C294%3A50
    I'd like to think they have some kind of volume limit, though can't say for sure. Buying in large volume would obviously indicate reselling and most likely on ze netz, a scenario I assume EG would wish to avoid, i.e. brand/prestige dilution.

10. AJL

AJL Senior member

what are prices?

Hard to say for sure (at least for me), though there is at least one variable--exchange rates--and possibly more.

For example, last summer's sale shoes were marked at £307 (most) with a few at £324. Exchange rates on 6.25.08 (start of sale) were $1.96 to the £. Therefore, most shoes would have been about $600 US + shipping, which I believe added another $60 or so. For the winter sale, shoes were marked at £313 and £343, though the exchange rate was more favorable: $1.47 to the £ at the start of sale. The less expensive shoes would be $460, and the costlier ones $504 + shipping. Current rates appears to be about $1.63. What remains unclear is at what point do they lock in exchange rate--at point of purchase, or when they run your charge card, which as I found out last year can be days later when they actually put the order through. As far as how they set their actual sale prices, that is entirely unknown to me. Perhaps those with more insight can chime in here.

11. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

This thread is off to a fantastic start, and I think that it might become the best EG sale thread yet.

- B

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Hard to say for sure (at least for me), though there is at least one variable--exchange rates--and possibly more. For example, last summer's sale shoes were marked at £307 (most) with a few at £324. Exchange rates on 6.25.08 (start of sale) were $1.96 to the £. Therefore, most shoes would have been about $600 US + shipping, which I believe added another $60 or so. For the winter sale, shoes were marked at £313 and £343, though the exchange rate was more favorable: $1.47 to the £ at the start of sale. The less expensive shoes would be $460, and the costlier ones $504 + shipping. Current rates appears to be about $1.63. What remains unclear is at what point do they lock in exchange rate--at point of purchase, or when they run your charge card, which as I found out last year can be days later when they actually put the order through. As far as how they set their actual sale prices, that is entirely unknown to me. Perhaps those with more insight can chime in here.
    the x-rate locks in whenever they run the charge against your credit card. your card determines the x-rate (plus they usually charge a conversion fee) - EG only controls it by deciding when to charge your card. my experience is that they run it just before or after they ship...which was a pain in the ass because with an MTO the rate had drastically swung against me in 12 weeks - but it's not EG's fault - i think any reputable business would not charge their customer before the goods were produced and in the process of being delivered all that said, this is only a MTO issue - rates shouldn't usually swing drastically in the time it takes to order RTW...

13. AJL

AJL Senior member

the x-rate locks in whenever they run the charge against your credit card. your card determines the x-rate (plus they usually charge a conversion fee) - EG only controls it by deciding when to charge your card.

my experience is that they run it just before or after they ship...which was a pain in the ass because with an MTO the rate had drastically swung against me in 12 weeks - but it's not EG's fault - i think any reputable business would not charge their customer before the goods were produced and in the process of being delivered

all that said, this is only a MTO issue - rates shouldn't usually swing drastically in the time it takes to order RTW...

Ah, but their disclaimer is that the shoes will ship "within 28 days", and I believe they say that not just for effect. A red flag popped up for my c/c company when they saw a large amount posting overseas, but EG did not inform me of that until well into the 3rd if not 4th week following my purchase, meaning they had not even attempted to process the sale til then.

14. jjl5000

jjl5000 Senior member

what are prices?

There were plenty in the last winter sale...

[​IMG]

15. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Hard to say for sure (at least for me), though there is at least one variable--exchange rates--and possibly more.

For example, last summer's sale shoes were marked at £307 (most) with a few at £324. Exchange rates on 6.25.08 (start of sale) were $1.96 to the £. Therefore, most shoes would have been about $600 US + shipping, which I believe added another $60 or so. For the winter sale, shoes were marked at £313 and £343, though the exchange rate was more favorable: $1.47 to the £ at the start of sale. The less expensive shoes would be $460, and the costlier ones $504 + shipping. Current rates appears to be about $1.63. What remains unclear is at what point do they lock in exchange rate--at point of purchase, or when they run your charge card, which as I found out last year can be days later when they actually put the order through. As far as how they set their actual sale prices, that is entirely unknown to me. Perhaps those with more insight can chime in here.

nice thanks.

There were plenty in the last winter sale...

[​IMG]

close enough