• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In between t-shirt sizes. Tight or loose?

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys prefer to wear your t-shirts? I am not talking about the fitted, thin cotton, Trovata, designer shirts, but the regular ones. I have exactly a 36" chest which makes me on the tight end of a small but if I go to a medium, that starts at 38" and goes to 40". The length and flare at the bottom is also greater. So do you guys prefer a baggier fit or a tighter fit? Remember, this is not a fitted tee, this is a regular t-shirt.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
How do you guys prefer to wear your t-shirts? I am not talking about the fitted, thin cotton, Trovata, designer shirts, but the regular ones. I have exactly a 36" chest which makes me on the tight end of a small but if I go to a medium, that starts at 38" and goes to 40". The length and flare at the bottom is also greater. So do you guys prefer a baggier fit or a tighter fit? Remember, this is not a fitted tee, this is a regular t-shirt.

I'm a 36 and pretty much a small x-small in everything.. so I'm quite puzzled by this. Small is usually a 38" so as a 36 you're on the "small" size of the smalls.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you got it, flaunt it. Go small.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'm a 36 and pretty much a small x-small in everything.. so I'm quite puzzled by this. Small is usually a 38" so as a 36 you're on the "small" size of the smalls.

Smalls are 34-36. Here is a typical example, click on Sizing and Fit Info link.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Smalls are 34-36. Here is a typical example, click on Sizing and Fit Info link.

It says:
small = 34-36 (you're a 36, which clearly labels you as a small)
Medium= 38-40

So you're clearly a small, + companies often exagerate how big a size you should order because if you can't fit into a shirt you'll surely ask for a refund...

Go to a few stores, try out smalls and you'll realize what I've mentionned before, 36 is always a small, sometimes an x-small. Of course you can size up if you like the fit better...

Antler4641

Reaction score
I'd say I'm in a similar situation and I've been going small all summer and it's working great. Good luck to you.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm between sizes too but I go with medium most of the time. With shirts I often find the collar a little too tight. If I had a better physique I would probably go small.

89andy

Reaction score
Your not going to be wearing tshirts tight with a 36 inch chest unless your ordering from a brand that specifically has those kinds of aesthetics. Most likely size small t shirts range from 38-40 inch when laid flat so no way that is tight at all man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads