• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impulse purchase, very nervous... need condolence. Alterations?

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
I walked into a store casually browsing for a new jacket, and had a salesman eventually talk me into buying a sport coat. Saying he was decades in exp. tailoring and making clothes. He talked me into letting him re-sew he jacket for a slimmer fit, arm holes and waist severely taken in. Basically cutting the jacket slimmier and resewing it, armholes and everything. The coat is an Eton linen/cotton cost 1000$ for 300$ on sale so I decided to let him do it for me after about an hour of talking it over with him in disbelief of the possible option. He said he new what I wanted. The jacket is unlined and he said it would be easy, and it fit in the shoulders correct length.

He seemed passionate about it, really really enthusiasticly pushing this on me and said he was only doing it to gain as a new customer. This is a high end store, canalli, isaia, and many high end items. Plus alterations he did for only 70$.

I'm not rich, this is a huge chunk of money for risked clothes.

Did I just throw my money away?

I should have the jacket tommorrow evening, but it's all I can think about.

tom153

Reaction score
If he is good then I don't see any problems, I've had that, and then some, done to a few sport coats with great results.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tragic. The only thing to do now is to jump out of the window while you still can.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
Tragic. The only thing to do now is to jump out of the window while you still can.

While wearing your new coat.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
It's being altered already, so it can't be returned I'd imagine. I figure it could be a learning experience, plus if he could do this, I could possibly have found a solution to my jacket fitting problems.

Also most sport coats of quality fabric, and designs that appeal to me tend to be in this size range.

I'm still very skeptical. Thanks for the hope tom.

Bull I can't tell if your serious or sarcastic, and I'm only on the 4th floor.
confused.gif

I'll let you all know tommorrow how it goes.

It is overall one of the most beautifull coats I could ever dream of owning if it does work out.

theEnd

Reaction score
I'll make you feel better...

At the recently concluded Barney's Warehouse sale (remember.. no returns) I picked up a Brioni jacket that has some odd combination of brown/purple/orange checks. Sure, it was for a fraction of the $3800 sticker price (but who would ever have paid full retail?), and it feels amazing, but it makes me look 15 years older when I put it on.

I'm still wondering if I should give it for alterations or try to sell it to somebody who's got a different sense of style.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
theEnd, I'm curious why you think it makes you look 15 years older? Is it just the style of the cut, too boxy? Or is it a really outdated pattern/color scheme? or both?

kohelet

Reaction score
Hopefully this "salesman" will do a great job. Eton shape coats, is pretty hard to pull off if your body isnt a certain way. Like stick figures and rolley olley polleys need not try one on. Has this guy worked with linen before? o_O Linen shrinks. Linen needs to be seamed correctly or else u will have strays. And most importantly he shoulda offered to add a lining to it.... but I guess you can have some other tailor do that.

Next time you shop, know what you want, dont let a salesman tell you what to buy even if they have decades of experience. Their job is to sell not to be your image consultant...

spidercan

Reaction score
Was it a chain store or a smaller shop? There was another post where somebody bought a suit from, I believe, Bloomingdales. The salesperson convinced him to get it tailored at the store, and the result was less than satisfactory. However I think in the end he was able to get a refund. I wish I could find the post so I know I'm not making this up.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
It sounds like the guy knew his stuff from what you've said. Though I am always one to fall for slick sales patter, much to the detriment of my wallet.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theEnd
I'll make you feel better...

At the recently concluded Barney's Warehouse sale (remember.. no returns) I picked up a Brioni jacket that has some odd combination of brown/purple/orange checks. Sure, it was for a fraction of the $3800 sticker price (but who would ever have paid full retail?), and it feels amazing, but it makes me look 15 years older when I put it on.

I'm still wondering if I should give it for alterations or try to sell it to somebody who's got a different sense of style.

Post an IC (interest check) with pictures in the Buying and Selling Forum here. You'll get your answer.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
It was a smaller shop... Believe me when I say I don't buy into salespeople at all and by now know what I want. We actually argued over the jacket for about 45 minutes, before I finally decided to give him the chance. He was almost angry and upset that I didn't believe him much. Alterations I never would have done, but since he said he had experience actually making clothes I guessed it could work and gave him the chance.

Should I have a lining put on? I thought no lining was popular here for those hotter days?

I actually really regret this, and I'm positive I'll have to take this into my real tailor after for adjustments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads