• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Improving my French press coffee

rdaws

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the French press (been at it a couple of months now), and I've found that once in a while I manage to get a fantastic cup of coffee, once in a while it's just bad, and the rest of the time it's just "OK". I'm using a burr grinder, Starbucks coffee, and I'm measuring the ground coffee and the brew time, but am I missing something that's causing the inconsistency? Any tricks out there to improve the process and get a great pot every time?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my guess is that it's the grinder: you're getting an inconsistent grind. for French press, you want a medium-coarse grind. once the size of hte grind is consistent, then you can adjust around it.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Starbucks coffee might not be helping much either. Their coffee is alright, but you could definitely find better.

moops

Reaction score
First, you need throw out all of your Starbucks coffee and replace it with quality beans. I recommend Intelligentsia, Stumptown, and Counter Culture coffee beans (my personal favorite is Intelligentsia). One pound of coffee from any of these roasters will only cost slightly more than Starbucks, but will taste many times better. Second, focus on freshness. Grind the beans shortly before brewing. Do not use coffee that is over two weeks (maybe three, but the taste will definitely be sub-par) past the roasting date (all of the previously mentioned coffee roasters provide the roasting date). One other factor might be your grinder. You might be using a low quality burr grinder. A good grinder will set you back at least $150.00, although you could get away with a cheaper grinder (like a Baratza Maestro- $99.00 or Bodum Antigua- $120.00). Use a very coarse grind. Always use filtered or bottled water. Spend a little time on CoffeeGeek (www.coffeegeek.com) and you will pick up a few tips for improving your brew.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by moops
First, you need throw out all of your Starbucks coffee and replace it with quality beans. I recommend Intelligentsia, Stumptown, and Counter Culture coffee beans (my personal favorite is Intelligentsia). One pound of coffee from any of these roasters will only cost slightly more than Starbucks, but will taste many times better.

Second, focus on freshness. Grind the beans shortly before brewing. Do not use coffee that is over two weeks (maybe three, but the taste will definitely be sub-par) past the roasting date (all of the previously mentioned coffee roasters provide the roasting date).

One other factor might be your grinder. You might be using a low quality burr grinder. A good grinder will set you back at least $150.00, although you could get away with a cheaper grinder (like a Baratza Maestro- $99.00). Use a very coarse grind.

Always use filtered or bottled water.

Spend a little time on CoffeeGeek (www.coffeegeek.com) and you will pick up a few tips for improving your brew.

fing02[1].gif

rdaws

Reaction score
Sounds like great advice! Where can I get the higher-end beans? I'm guessing not in the local whole foods...

I'm located on the North Side of Chicago, any recommendations for where to get the good stuff?

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I order my beans from Blue Bottle Coffee when I can't pick up in person. Alternately, I buy in person at Four Barrels in the Mission district of SF.

Fresh quality beans are a must for any coffee, not just press. And a quality grinder is a close 2nd.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdaws
Sounds like great advice! Where can I get the higher-end beans? I'm guessing not in the local whole foods... I'm located on the North Side of Chicago, any recommendations for where to get the good stuff?
Actually I've heard good things from Whole Foods coffee. You should have some roaster or coffee shop that sells decent stuff... Or you could always go online I have some cold-brewing Kona in my fridge right now, going to be so good
smile.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdaws
Sounds like great advice! Where can I get the higher-end beans? I'm guessing not in the local whole foods...

I'm located on the North Side of Chicago, any recommendations for where to get the good stuff?

Doesn't Intelligentsia have a place in Chicago?

moops

Reaction score
Intelligentsia is headquartered in Chicago, so it works out great for you.

Here are their Chicago locations:
Broadway Coffeebar- 3123 N. Broadway St | Chicago, IL 60657
Monadnock Coffeebar- 53 W. Jackson Blvd. | Chicago, IL 60604
Millennium Park Coffeebar- 53 E. Randolph St. | Chicago, IL 60601

www.intelligentsiacoffee.com

Blue Bottle Coffee is great, but if you live on the East Coast, the shipping costs and the decreased freshness due to the increased travel time can dampen the experience.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never understood why people insist on buying expensive grinders. I don't understand the chemistry/physics behind the importance of a more consistent grind (though I do understand that it yields clearer coffee, since you don't get as much dust filtering in).

rdaws

Reaction score
Intelligentsia is headquartered in Chicago, so it works out great for you.

Here are their Chicago locations:
Broadway Coffeebar- 3123 N. Broadway St | Chicago, IL 60657
Monadnock Coffeebar- 53 W. Jackson Blvd. | Chicago, IL 60604
Millennium Park Coffeebar- 53 E. Randolph St. | Chicago, IL 60601

www.intelligentsiacoffee.com

Blue Bottle Coffee is great, but if you live on the East Coast, the shipping costs and the decreased freshness due to the increased travel time can dampen the experience.

Awesome - going there today. Thanks!

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Intelligentsia is great stuff. I also like Ritual and Ecco (of the ones that place their stuff all over the US).

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
I have never understood why people insist on buying expensive grinders. I don't understand the chemistry/physics behind the importance of a more consistent grind (though I do understand that it yields clearer coffee, since you don't get as much dust filtering in).

The more consistent in size the ground particles are, the more even the extraction of flavors and oils.

Coffee should be no bigger than a grain of cous cous after grinding. Water temperature just under a boil. When you see the first tiny bubbles appear, it is ready. Boiling water is too hot. Add the water, wait one minute and then give the pot a stir. I use a chop stick. Put the top on and wait 3 minutes. Push down the plunger, you are done. Total brew time is 4 minutes.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
First, you need throw out all of your Starbucks coffee and replace it with quality beans. I recommend Intelligentsia, Stumptown, and Counter Culture coffee beans (my personal favorite is Intelligentsia). One pound of coffee from any of these roasters will only cost slightly more than Starbucks, but will taste many times better.

Second, focus on freshness. Grind the beans shortly before brewing. Do not use coffee that is over two weeks (maybe three, but the taste will definitely be sub-par) past the roasting date (all of the previously mentioned coffee roasters provide the roasting date).

One other factor might be your grinder. You might be using a low quality burr grinder. A good grinder will set you back at least $150.00, although you could get away with a cheaper grinder (like a Baratza Maestro- $99.00 or Bodum Antigua- $120.00). Use a very coarse grind.

Always use filtered or bottled water.

Spend a little time on CoffeeGeek (www.coffeegeek.com) and you will pick up a few tips for improving your brew.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads